Main Menu

nut files

Started by sour d, June 10, 2010, 11:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sour d

I'm looking for some advice on cutting a nut. Should I pay for a set of nut files or is there an easier cheaper way. I have a few projects I'm working on right now. One is a mexi strat body with a wenge/walnut hand shaped neck that has a graphite nut. Another is a 70's japanese strat copy that I'm turning into an alligator stat copy.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

cactuskeeb

Get some files from stewmac.  They're pretty expensive but worth it.  It's kind of hard to fuck up a nut: string spacing can be very subjective; it's not an exact science, although, if you get the specialized rulers along with the files, it can be (an exact science).  Ultimately, it's much cheaper just to pay someone to do it.

sour d

Quote from: cactuskeeb on June 11, 2010, 02:47:50 PM
  Ultimately, it's much cheaper just to pay someone to do it.
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at doing 2 guitars right now so maybe it will be cheaper in the long run to just buy a set of files. I've read about people making them out of feeler gauges or using torch tip cleaners but like they say "the right tool for the job". I wonder what Mr. AO charges, raisingfreen has nothing but good things to say about him.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

raisingfreen

You should just email or call him. Assuming he has the available time I would by all means just have AO do this. He is not that far from you, and you should meet him anyway. Just call or email him and ask him what he thinks, ie timing, price etc.. Why not get it done right the first time? Maybe ask him about getting a Buzz Feiten (sp?) nut instead. Those are great and really help with intonation issues. He can explain better but they are worth the money.

If you live in Maine in the lower portion anyway, there is no reason not to go to him. He has the background/skills/craftsmanship and stands by his work. Rather simple choice. Can we say that for the walk in shops that offer setups and repairs locally in Portland? (Scary stuff).

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Poster

yeah if your near andrew, and hes got the time, you will not be disappointed. Hes the best.

aoguitars

I disagree with cactus...it's actually really easy to fuck up a nut. Spacing is one thing, but if you go and make one slot just a hair too deep, then that string will be too low over the frets and buzz like hell. Just a word of caution. If you want to learn how to do it yourself, I can help, or there are some great books at StewMac, and they have all the tools you'd need. It's just a question of whether or not you want to invest in the tools...

But to answer you question about a cheaper way--I started many years ago with a small set of jeweler's files and was able to do a fairly solid job. And then over the years, I've amassed all the tools since it's my profession. But just like everything else in guitar building or repair...take your time. Maybe try that before spending a bunch of money on specialized tools.

Or come on down to AO HQ :)
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

ColForbin

Quote from: aoguitars on October 04, 2010, 02:04:33 PM

And that is how sour d placed an order for his first AO guitar.....and they all lived happily awesome after.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

sour d

Quote from: ColForbin on October 05, 2010, 07:12:21 AM

And that is how sour d placed an order for his first AO guitar.....and they all lived happily awesome after.
yeah no shit right. I'm just trying to get sloppy seconds on a resurrection right now but in the future probably. Will we see the ColForbin at the augusta show? You're not that far away. Come see some phish! Mike is playing intown portland soon too.

ColForbin

Yeah man, we got a crew of 8 heading down from PEI, super stoked.  I also recruited some first timers (I'm only a 2nd timer myself) who have listened to some Phish and who want to check them out, but they just needed a nudge in the right direction.  I can't swing the Portland show, my wife is actually 10 months pregnant at that point and I was impressed with my convincing prowess that I am booking it to Augusta for Phish on the 19th.

Speaking of which, we might have an extra ticket in case anybody on this board is interested......hit me up with a pm if you are.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

aoguitars

Quote from: ColForbin on October 05, 2010, 07:12:21 AM

ha, nice. It's all falling into plan (Mr. Burns). I'm somewhat like a Venus Flytrap...lure you in with small repairs, until I pounce and force guitars down your neck. It's a good way to go, I swear.

As Sy Sperling (sp) of Hair Club For Men used to say, "I'm not only the owner...but I'm also a client."
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

patrickstefanski

Quote from: aoguitars on October 05, 2010, 10:12:04 AM
....I'm somewhat like a Venus Flytrap...

subliminal marketing...nice.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11