Main Menu

Bass

Started by beebs, August 11, 2010, 03:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beebs

Anyone play one? I've got an itch to purchase a second hand bass to try out with a drummer. Think it will be hard to pick up for playing reggae and funk?
Ibanez SR300 Bass -> SWR Workingman's 15 Combo
Ibanez AS80 -> GCB -> TS-9 -> CS-3 -> RP3 -> Superchamp XD

Poster

easy to pickup playing bass?  :D

beebs

You have any experience? I'd like to learn the basics for making some backing tracks with a drummer, and then see where it goes from there.

Poster

your not going to pickup bass or any instrument overnight.

i would suggest a midi control keyboard and reason software.

probably the cheapest way to get appregiated bass sequences for you to jam to

beebs

I wasn't hoping to learn it overnight. Maybe a couple of months. Do you play bass too?

sour d

If I was you I would use some of the bass tabs on this site and practice them on your guitar before you buy a bass. They are familiar songs for you and it will give you an idea of what it's all about.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

strangedesign

i've been wanting to get a bass for years. every time i bring it up, my wife reminds me that i don't even play my guitar anymore. i'd love to get one of those HT bass cabs, but my money has been going towards new houses, kids and most recently, a new boat. the next thing i really need to get is a decent guitar. the hollow body ibanez isn't so great. i'd love to be give AO some money right about now. btw, i was reading a thread on PT the other day and saw that some guy has 2 languedocs. a g2 and a g4. you guys ever talked to that guy?
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

sour d

Quote from: strangedesign on August 11, 2010, 10:17:25 PM
i most recently, a new boat.
Boats are cool......And if you really want a bass try this. "Honey, it would be so cool if you could play bass while I play guitar. We should buy one for you."
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

beebs

i've been wanting to get a bass for years. every time i bring it up, my wife reminds me that i don't even play my guitar anymore. i'd love to get one of those HT bass cabs, but my money has been going towards new houses, kids and most recently, a new boat. the next thing i really need to get is a decent guitar. the hollow body ibanez isn't so great. i'd love to be give AO some money right about now. btw, i was reading a thread on PT the other day and saw that some guy has 2 languedocs. a g2 and a g4. you guys ever talked to that guy?

I love my artstar ;). Have you redone the wiring on it... Made a huge difference for mine.

I'll probably be picking up a used squier or ibanez bass from GC soon. I think I can probably get something cheap to try out... Basses don't seem to cost near as much as guitars, even the amps are reasonable. I don't plan on getting anywhere near the level of Mike or Flea, but I find bass to be an extremely interesting and vital link between the drums and guitar when a simple groove is going (think of the bass opening to the reba jam). I hope it's not beyond my reach to play useful bass grooves.

patrickstefanski

Quote from: sour d on August 12, 2010, 12:26:05 AM
Boats are cool......And if you really want a bass try this. "Honey, it would be so cool if you could play bass while I play guitar. We should buy one for you."

WINNER!!
I did the exact same thing.
I even bought her a Paul McCartney style bass.  She learned "Love Me Do" then quit.
I now have a 4 string to mess around with.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

beebs

My bass has arrived. Today I traded in a crappy epiphone les paul jr that impulsively bought last year for a yamaha rbx170 (which is actually one of the cheapest basses ever). It sounds very nice to my ears, and I even fooled around and stumbled onto Makisupa and the intro to dwd while I was trying it out at the guitar store. Soon enough it will be time for me to unleash the funk. I will say it was nice to be the only one in the bass demo area while all the other people were wanking the same boxed up SRV guitar store show-off solos next to each other in the guitar area. Ironically, that would probably be me over there if I was trying to buy a guitar. Next, I'll probably be saving or trading for a nice 15" amp combo.

strangedesign

Quote from: sour d on August 12, 2010, 12:26:05 AM
she played piano when she was a kid, so we tried this with the keyboards and she never made it to the first practice.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

beebs

I've got an mp3 I made if someone knows where I can host it.

Poster

may I ask how old you are beebs?  ;)

beebs