Single coil timbre: Trey coil tapping

Started by Happyorange27, November 08, 2010, 09:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

So I could be way off but does coil tapping, or the single coil mode of Treys guitar sound more organic and transcend the warmth of his hollowbody more than when he is using regular humbucking?  I don't own any single coils so I am trying to get my solid body to have that more "acoustic" sound which Treys guitar regularly does on clean parts of songs. Example, beginning of Limb or Bird of a Feather. Anyway, is this Trey coil tapping or is this purely the result of a quality hollowbody adding it's timbre into the sound signal. Thanks. 
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

picture_of_nectar

I think it's just the acoustic resonance of the hollowbody. With my Doc, when I drop a coil it makes the tone more twangy, or quacky...more like a strat or a tele. But the fundemental acoustic/harmonic characteristc of the tone remains the same either way. Of course Trey's guitar is a lot different then mine, so I dunno... 
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Walker done done

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on November 08, 2010, 11:17:25 PM
I think it's just the acoustic resonance of the hollowbody. With my Doc, when I drop a coil it makes the tone more twangy, or quacky...more like a strat or a tele. But the fundemental acoustic/harmonic characteristc of the tone remains the same either way. Of course Trey's guitar is a lot different then mine, so I dunno... 

I think that about covers it; mine has the same characteristics.  I've talked a bit w/ AO about this feature in an effort to better undserstand.....maybe he could shed some light on explaining it a little better to the masses....?
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

aoguitars

The coil-tap would definitely not be known to go towards "warmth" on your axe. You're effectively dropping a coil from your humbucker, which is becoming similar to a single coil pickup (though not the same), so the sound is much thinner and quieter than a bucker....think Strat-sounding. Plus, when you engage the drop, you're adding a lot of noise, since you're not "bucking the hum" anymore. As for Trey's organic, more acoustic sound that you're mentioning, that's a direct result of him playing an acoustic guitar--there's a lot of airspace in there adding that fullness to his sound. I wouldn't think that LBL or BOF would be played with the coil drop...they sound a lot fatter to me.

As for PON's guitar, that's exactly what the drop does--and since yours is more solid than hollow (though I don't know how much chambering is actually in that guitar), you get more of the quack of the single coil.
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

picture_of_nectar

Um, the G4 is fully hollow. Not chambered. Just like the G2 only smaller and thinner.

aoguitars

right. my bad. for some reason, I thought it had a center block...it's just smaller than the G2.
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

Happyorange27

Now that I actually have my AO, I understand exactly what the coil tap sounds like.  It's so very familiar I just never put 2 and 2 together.  I now know that I here this tone on many trademark Trey licks and tunes.  I really like that tone, it's got clarity.  Anyway I love experimenting with my right hand right now (sounds like me during puberty :P)
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

Quote from: Happyorange27 on July 18, 2011, 04:02:14 PM
Now that I actually have my AO, I understand exactly what the coil tap sounds like.  It's so very familiar I just never put 2 and 2 together.  I now know that I here this tone on many trademark Trey licks and tunes.  I really like that tone, it's got clarity.  Anyway I love experimenting with my right hand right now (sounds like me during puberty :P)
What are some of the songs or licks that you recognize the sound of the coil tapping?
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Happyorange27

I could be wrong but studio version Dirt for one. And I think any live Possum or Carini. I'll try to think of more as I come across them.

picture_of_nectar

I kinda don't think so on either Possum or Carini...but it's hard to tell.

Im thinking more on the bluegrass tunes like Water in the Sky, Scent of a Mule, Ginsing, Uncle Penn...etc.

Could be wrong tho...

Happyorange27

Yeah it's not like it's super obvious but I just know it's seasoned in all over the place.  Especially when he hits the low open E string and it's just very clear and twangy.

IamWILSON

I guess I'll be in the game of figuring this all out too, once I actually have a guitar with coil tap and phase/parallel and all the bells and whistles!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).