Super tremolo,univibe

Started by KevinOnutbag, November 18, 2010, 11:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinOnutbag

I've been searching for either a rack mount processor or multi pedal to do the job of trey's rack.  I'm thinking of getting a line 6 m9 because it would also kinda act like a 4x4 Bradshaw, and with a volume pedal i could control tremolo speeds.How does it sound? Am I right to think that it could function as a Bradshaw and do the basics of trey's rack?  It'd be great if you guys could let me know if you have any experiance with this pedal and what you think of it.
Lp standard/Mex Strat/Equator Standard>RMC3 wah> ts9 silver mod x2> Comrossor>Fender hot rod deluxe.
Effects loop(Whammy 2>microverb>nanoverb>DM2000>Boomerang 3)

ColForbin

Hey man, welcome to the board.

I tried the Line 6 M13 unit because it is a very appealing concept to have everything wrapped into one unit.  I liked it in my bedroom, but it just didn't cut the mustard for me in a live gig situation.  The volume pedal idea is a good one, and you'll need it to use your wah.  The delays on it are super nice however, and it's a nice rig for what it is.  What is your goal?  If it's to play live shows with your band, I would go analog pedals for your wah, overdrive, and compressor and if you want to use this for delay's, vibes and whammy's, what have you, that might be a good route to go imo.  But if you are just doing home recording and not playing in a live setting, that unit might be fine.

So in closing, the frills sound nice, but I wouldn't base the main balls of my tone off it, that's for sure.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

cactuskeeb

There are reasons why people continually pay thousands of dollars for univibes.  If someone would replicate the circuit faithfully and for bottom dollar we would all be happy.  Unfortunatly, and, honestly, most of the effects you love to hear are almost unbelievably complex on the production level.  You're cutting corners with anything less than the original idea.

EDIT:
Case in point: i used to own a 1994 black cat vibe.  The circuit board, if you flipped it over, said "Dinosaur R&D" and was unlike anything I've seen from any univibe clone I've ever bought.  Bob only ever did the power supplies in these things.  This is what he told me.  He has no idea what went into the effects he built.  You're going to be unhappy with the sound of the effects you buy.  They're never going to sound like Trey's because he has bought dozens of these priceless objects and picks out the best one of the batch.

Stiles12

I know this is getting away from the thread so I will keep it short:

Talking to mike at analogman, he told me Fred Bonte was the real brain behind the black cat vibe. He made them and sold them under the CAE brand. Bob Really had very little to do with it at all. Fred Bonte was a terrible business man and there are multiple stories of people paying him and he would never make their effects. His house ending up catching on fire, and he ran out to the street and got hit by a car. he survived, but his business virtually stopped.

Anyway, I never recomend big processors for rigs.. Yes it keeps your rig small, and easily moveable and affordable. I used to use a floor processor back when I was in school, and I never liked it. It is really hard to change individual effects on the go. When your jamming and the sound and tempo and pulse changes your going to want to have individual effects to turn off and off to get the sound you want.

If you look at treys rig it is all individual effects that he can manipulate on the go. These processors dont allow you to do the same thing.

Buy  a Wah and two tube screamers and work your way from there.. if you have a good guitar and amp you will always be ok.

If you are woried about the vibe and the trem, dont be, there are not used very much, and if your covering songs, you can get bye without them for a while untill you work up enough money to buy something good. ; Just my personal opinion
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

sour d

For what it's worth, black cat pedals is back with the vibe coming soon.
http://blackcatpedals.com/
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

KevinOnutbag

I have dual anologman tube screamers which I agree can't be beat in terms of giving a warm, fullbodied tone base especially coming out of hummbuckers,and a wah. I was looking to use it more for the tremolo, and delay's and with the volume pedal be able to control them on the fly.  What are some alternatives for tremolo and specifically the effects in trey's rack not his floor pedals.
Lp standard/Mex Strat/Equator Standard>RMC3 wah> ts9 silver mod x2> Comrossor>Fender hot rod deluxe.
Effects loop(Whammy 2>microverb>nanoverb>DM2000>Boomerang 3)

sour d

Quote from: KevinOnutbag on November 20, 2010, 12:53:13 PM
  What are some alternatives for tremolo and specifically the effects in trey's rack not his floor pedals.
Check out the digitech ex7. The univibe and leslie simulation are suprisingly good and it fits nicely on a pedalboard.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

picture_of_nectar

I was using a Fulltone Mini DejaVibe for a while. Liked it butended up selling it because I didn't use it much and it took up a lot of space. I replaced it with a MXR script phase 90 which I like a lot better for modulation.

I also have a Fulltone SupaTrem which has great tone. Only complaint with it is you have to change the speed with a knob, a pedal would be easier.

I like FullTone pedals for the price, good tone, USA made, true bypass, bomber. I also have a OCD that rocks. 
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Walker done done

Quote from: sour d on November 20, 2010, 10:35:21 AM

But WHEN is SOON? ???
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

deadbearbobby

Quote from: Walker done done on November 22, 2010, 01:46:39 PM

But WHEN is SOON? ???

HAHA  :D... Yeah according to the analogman website... they have been "coming soon"... for about 3 years...
Apartment rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>SRB 808>Ross Clone>wally looper>Epiphone valve Jr
Gig rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>Big Muff >Ross Clone>wally looper>epiphone valve jr/polytone mini brute (stereo rig)>Two fender 15"bass cabinets
not in use: Vox AC4, Flanger hoax, Giga delay, PIgtronix Mothership

Happyorange27

I just put a bug in their ear by sending and email to inquire when ready.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

Quote from: KevinOnutbag on November 20, 2010, 12:53:13 PM
I have dual anologman tube screamers which I agree can't be beat in terms of giving a warm, fullbodied tone base especially coming out of hummbuckers,and a wah. I was looking to use it more for the tremolo, and delay's and with the volume pedal be able to control them on the fly.  What are some alternatives for tremolo and specifically the effects in trey's rack not his floor pedals.

For the tremolo/vibe sound try out any of the Fulltone DejaVibe pedals, they are pretty good.  I was using the Deja Vibe2, but have switched to the Supa Trem.  I personally think the big knobs on the Supa Trem are easier to adjust with your feet then the big expression pedal on my Vibe2; reason being, sometimes my toe or heel will make contact with the pedal as I'm pulling it away and move it from where I wanted it.  Also, check out some of the old Ibanez delay pedals on Ebay.  I'm using the Ibanez DML 20 (Digital Modulation Delay - I've had it since I was a kid), it actually has some great tones that don't sound so digital, and you can make many of the long delay sounds that are similar to the "hold" function that Trey uses his Ibanez DM2000 for. 

Yes this is the more expensive way to build your effects, but its also better for your tone (if you're doing it right) and complete control of each effect at your toes. 
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Happyorange27

Quote from: deadbearbobby on December 03, 2010, 01:15:34 PM
Quote from: Walker done done on November 22, 2010, 01:46:39 PM

But WHEN is SOON? ???

HAHA  :D... Yeah according to the analogman website... they have been "coming soon"... for about 3 years...
Check out this reply

Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry. We are working really hard on the Black Cat Vibe and hope to have them finished in the next couple of months. Stay tuned!

Thanks,

Tom Hughes
Black Cat Pedals
[/quote]
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Stiles12

HAH, I have been on the list for my "replacement" (yes its original, lasted about nine minuets) black cat vibe since early 2006. sometimes I will get emails saying you have moved to third in line. haha so retarted

Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Brian27

As far as modulation effects id get a M13 or an M9. Ive never had an issue with mine at all. Some folks might not like it live but it worked fine for me. The reverbs and delays are also top notch on the M13. Id use pedals for your compression,wah, whammy,and ovedrive but other then that get a M13 and for rotary speaker get a Boss RT-20.