Effects loop on amp: do you need it?

Started by Happyorange27, December 14, 2010, 10:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

So many vintage amps and low end amps don't have effects loop. So I'm assuming it's ok to run all of you wet effects like delay, reverb, modulation in front of the amp. It's not like you have a choice right?  If you do have an amp effects loop, do you use it for these effects as a hard rule or not. Let's hear some feedback. Thanks.

FYI I'm getting a Blues Jr with no loop and I'm concerned about not having one. 
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

picture_of_nectar

I have an amp with an effects loop, never used it, no idea how it works. how do you engage the loop?

as far as pedals in front of the amp, of course different pedals and different amps are going to react differently. I have a Blues Jnr and I find that it and fender amps in general take pedals pretty well. I don't really use heavy distortion though.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

sour d

Having an effects loop on an amp allows you to place effects after the preamp and before the power amp. This can help with pedal noise because you aren't amping that noise with the preamp. Mostly good for time based effects like delay, reverb, etc. Some effects like an overdrive you want to slam the preamp with so you wouldn't put it in the loop. My HRD has one but I never used it.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

ColForbin

I'm with picture of nectar on the statement that I don't think you have much to worry about with your blues jr.  Fender amps in general do take pedals pretty well.  I had a Hughes & Kettner Statesman head that had an effects loop, which I tried a few times and didn't think it did much for me.  To each his own I guess, but if I were buying another amp today, an effects loop wouldn't be a must have feature, that's for sure.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Happyorange27

Thanks guys.  I double checked Trey's signal path and saw that his amp is at the end of his chain, hence he doesn't have an effects loop, hence I'm not worried about missing one either. ;D  Thanks for the feedback dudes.

Oh I can see why most amps have at least reverb built in since that most likely is internaly routed after the pre-amp and before the speaker output (inherint effects loop dedicated to the reverb).  I suppose if someone was really motivated, they would splice into that region of the amp and make there own effects loop.  Again, it's not of interest to us, but maybe somebody out there actually would want that.  Just a random thought.   ::)
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Walker done done

Quote from: Happyorange27 on December 15, 2010, 07:54:50 AM
Thanks guys.  I double checked Trey's signal path and saw that his amp is at the end of his chain, hence he doesn't have an effects loop, hence I'm not worried about missing one either. ;D  Thanks for the feedback dudes.

I believe the reason he doesn't have/use an effects loop is because he has a massive switching system that negates the need for an effects loop.

I have a Fender HotRod Delux and utilize the effects loop on it.  From the Preamp out > Nova Delay > Whammy II > back into the amp.  Works well, I think, but I'm not expert at this stuff.  If I am remembering correctly I tried to put my Caesar Diaz Tremodillo in the effects loop but it killed the overall volume of everything which I found weird.  Not that this applies to anythnig here...lol.

Anyways, everything else is not running through the effects loop.  Guitar > modded Vox wah (true bypass) > Emma Discombobulator > TS808 > TS9 > Super Hard On > Keeley 4knob comp > Tremodillo > Boss tuner > Fender HRD.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

fulltone1989

I have an effects loop on my Nomad 45, and I run my Boomerang + into. When I switch channels for OD or Rage the 'rang's signal doesn't get affected. I tried it with my delay and phaser but it just screwed with the levels. The nomad's got a really sensitive loop volume however, It's got a level on the effects loop, and then it "evens out" with the master of the particular channel that is used. I think that most effect loops are used for effects that shouldn't be distorted or overdriven. For example, you may want your distorted signal to be affected by a clean delay. To do so you'd put it in the effects loop. If not, put it in front of the amp. I hope that makes sense!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.