What's a reasonable price?

Started by Flavaham, January 12, 2011, 05:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flavaham

I'm looking for a Tube Screamer.  Prices are so varied that I really am not sure what I should buy.  I feel like the original TS9 is the way to go but what is a good price for one?  What do the mods on these pedals do specifically?  Should I buy a moded pedal? Any advice with this would be great.  Currently I play a RAT.  I'm thinking I need two distortion pedals though.  The preamp I'm getting only has a clean channel.  I'd like to have a nice crunch for rhythm/blues playing (probably achievable with the RAT) and a sweet tube driven lead tone (TS). 

Thanks in advance for the advice!

fulltone1989

Hey Flavaham,

You can check your local craigslist sites for tubescreamers and pick up a Ts-9 for around $50. If not, you can check out either thegearpage or harmony central's classified forums and see if they have any. You need paypal but I've never had problems do business on those sites when using the 3% paypal fees. Beware though, as visiting those sites will give you a terminal case of G.A.S.

As far as mods go, the two favorites are the Keeley and Analogman mods. I think Trey uses the Analogman silver mod's, but I could be wrong. I'm not entirely sure as to what the mods do but it's safe to say that either the mids or the gain are affected. With Analogman or Keeley you can send your Ts-9 in for the mod, or they can send you a modded pedal. Not positive on prices but expect to pay a lot of money.

Don't limit yourself to the Ts-9 however, there are plenty of great OD pedals out there. I hope this helps/
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

sour d

Quote from: Flavaham on January 12, 2011, 05:13:45 AM
  I feel like the original TS9 is the way to go but what is a good price for one? 
Original ts9's are the early 80's ones and they go for around $150 to $250. Reissues are much cheaper and can be had for around $50. If you can solder, ts5's and ts7's can be had for around $20 and can be modded to sound really good. There are a lot of people modding tube screamers and most of them charge a lot of money for there services. Make sure you ask what is being done to the pedal. The "808" mod only replaces 2 resistors and the opamp chip if your pedal doesn't already have the proper one. That is $5 worth of parts and some of these guys charge $50 to $100 for that service. If you are handy with a soldering iron there is plenty of info on the web on how to do it yourself. A lot of guys like the garmopat modded pedals and his prices seem reasonable. I can mod tube screamers for you. If your interested PM me and I can let you know what I'm doing and how much. I currently have ts9's ts9dx's ts5's and ts7's ready to go. For plenty of good reliable info on tube screamers go to analogmans site and look for his "tube screamer history" section. Great info there.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Flavaham

Quote from: sour d on January 12, 2011, 12:57:51 PM
Quote from: Flavaham on January 12, 2011, 05:13:45 AM
  I feel like the original TS9 is the way to go but what is a good price for one? 
I currently have ts9's ts9dx's ts5's and ts7's ready to go. For plenty of good reliable info on tube screamers go to analogmans site and look for his "tube screamer history" section. Great info there.

Have them ready to go as in ready to sell?  If so, what are you asking?

As to the previous posts, what are some OD's you'd recommend and why?

sour d

Quote from: Flavaham on January 13, 2011, 03:08:50 AM

Have them ready to go as in ready to sell?  If so, what are you asking?

Check your PM's
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe