TC Flashback Delay - Looks outrageous!!

Started by ColForbin, March 02, 2011, 03:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

Also I use the buffer setting (not the true bypass) and this pedal is right before my amp.  It really keeps my signal robust and full.  I used to think everything needed to be true bypass, but that is not the case.  In this situation, the buffer is very nice to have, especially because it is adding value, not sucking.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Happyorange27

Update. I still love this pedal but the audio tapping requires you to hold the switch for several seconds and only then will the signal cut out and start to sample your strumming. This takes up valuable time. I wish it had tap tempo. I know it can't have everything. Just wanted to share.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

ColForbin

Quote from: Happyorange27 on December 18, 2011, 07:10:43 PM
Update. I still love this pedal but the audio tapping requires you to hold the switch for several seconds and only then will the signal cut out and start to sample your strumming. This takes up valuable time. I wish it had tap tempo. I know it can't have everything. Just wanted to share.

I feel the exact same way about mine, sometimes I feel tap tempo would be nice....but for the most part I can get a tempo from my drummer pre song if I know I will be using it, and just go from there.  The ability to do an external tap tempo even, would be nice.  Or just the ability to use the existing switch....anyways, that's life.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

fulltone1989

Quote from: ColForbin on December 19, 2011, 07:43:22 AM
Quote from: Happyorange27 on December 18, 2011, 07:10:43 PM

I feel the exact same way about mine, sometimes I feel tap tempo would be nice....but for the most part I can get a tempo from my drummer pre song if I know I will be using it, and just go from there.  The ability to do an external tap tempo even, would be nice.  Or just the ability to use the existing switch....anyways, that's life.

I often wonder about the possiblitiy of modding one to incorporate such an option. The Echo Park by Line 6 is about the FB's size and that has tap tempo integrated into the switch, I wonder if TC is already planning something like that. the Boss DD-5's and up had an external tap plug available (at least I think so.) Couldn't TC have integrated the USB 2.0 plug at the top to incorporate MIDI commands, which would include tap tempo?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

ColForbin

Well look at the Nova Repeater:

Note the tap tempo and hold for audio tap are in the same switch, now I realize the flashback only has one switch instead of two, but I wonder if there would have been a way to incorporate this.  Maybe another dip switch setting in the back, one for audio tap and one for tap tempo, I don't know, just spit balling here.  I guess they probably feel if that tap tempo is that important to a player, than they will just get the nova repeater or something with tap tempo.  I still really like mine, it would just be nice I guess.  Looking at it now, I don't have another looper at the moment and the looper on the flashback is very valuable to me for home practice.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Happyorange27

Forbin I think we are experiencing the same bitter-sweetness about this pedal.  We just need another type pedal to add additional functionality and also so that we can loop and delay at the same time.

That's a genesis idea about the dip switch.  But how would the pedal know if you were turning it off/on or if you were just setting a tap tempo...that's the difficulty of making that work.  Maybe there are already pedals that can do that but I've never tried one.

A Repeater is pretty inexpensive for how cool it is.  I may as well just get one as well.  Then my TC pedals can hangout together and give each other high fives. 8)

manicstarseed

Quote from: Happyorange27 on December 20, 2011, 07:32:29 AM
A Repeater is pretty inexpensive for how cool it is.  I may as well just get one as well.  Then my TC pedals can hangout together and give each other high fives. 8)
+1
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

MomaDan

Is there a pedal that does looping like the flashback but without the delay options? I can only think of the RC-2 but thats almost as much as the FB. I would use something like that next to any delay.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Happyorange27

What olive about the flashback loop is that the fidelity is perfect. Your recording playing sounds exactly the same once it plays back. Seemless!
I only miss being able to stop a loop then turn it back on with the same recording in the memory. Like when the wife yells for something: you stop it, get the thing she wants, then turn that loop back on and continue the jam without having to record again. :)

Happyorange27

Hey just wanted to say I like Dynamic delay. It's a setting I had never explored in my old pedal. It's great because it gets out of the way while you are playing. We you stop the the delay keeps doing its thing. Also it's great because if you screw up a note you just have to keep playing or do some "chicka chicka" as to prevent delay. Anyway it's great because it doesn't dominate or get old this way.

IamWILSON

Quote from: Happyorange27 on January 15, 2012, 07:50:32 PM
Hey just wanted to say I like Dynamic delay. It's a setting I had never explored in my old pedal. It's great because it gets out of the way while you are playing. We you stop the the delay keeps doing its thing. Also it's great because if you screw up a note you just have to keep playing or do some "chicka chicka" as to prevent delay. Anyway it's great because it doesn't dominate or get old this way.

When I first got my Nova Repeater, dynamic delay was the first setting I liked using, but since then I've gone through phases where I liked analog, studio, and I think lately I've been using tape.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

Do you find that the loop is long enough for just jamming with a chord progression? My Boomerang + never sold. I found the Dynamic setting to be a great tool also! I mainly use the MOD setting too
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

Quote from: tomasmaclennan on January 16, 2012, 11:05:03 AM

Do you find that the loop is long enough for just jamming with a chord progression? My Boomerang + never sold. I found the Dynamic setting to be a great tool also! I mainly use the MOD setting too
Absolutely.  40 seconds is a long time.  I used to only have 14 seconds on my last looper so it feels like infinity.

the_great_lemon

I've been looking for a cool inexpensive looper for live use.  I would most likely use it how trey does, so basically to make ambient loops to fill up some sonic space.  How easy is the TC to navigate on stage?
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Happyorange27

Quote from: the_great_lemon on January 16, 2012, 11:09:19 AM
I've been looking for a cool inexpensive looper for live use.  I would most likely use it how trey does, so basically to make ambient loops to fill up some sonic space.  How easy is the TC to navigate on stage?
Honestly i don't recommend this pedal for looping during an actual gig; only practice.  The volume depends on the delay knob setting which can not be unity if it's set other than noon.  Also you can't recall the last loop.  Once it's off it's gone forever.  Great for practice...not for gig unless you are willing to handle the limitations.