So how does one run a stereo set up?

Started by IamWILSON, September 16, 2011, 06:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamWILSON

I'm wondering if there's different ways to do this?  What are the easier methods? What method produces better tone?  How can it be done cost effective?  How should it be done the right way?

Here's my chain I'm currently running:

guitar > Whammy II^ > RMC6 > TS9 ('82) > TS9 ('82) > Ross Compressor/Keeley 2-knob comp (I'm still deciding which I like better so I switch them out alot) > SupaTrem > Nova Repeater# > Ibanez DML20^ > Boomerang+ > Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere MkII* > Alesis Microverb* > Egnater Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cabinet.

* effect has stereo in and out
# effect has only single input, but stereo out
^ effect has wet and dry out

My Boogie cabinet also is wired for mono or stereo use.  It's loaded with a C90 on the open back side, and a V30 on the closed back side.  It's made to sit horizontally, but since I'm using it mono right now I stand it up vertically.  Obviously if I ran stereo into it I would use it horizontally.  

The reason I am asking this is because its something I've always wanted to do, but never really looked into actually getting it done.  That and Sour's thread about the Blues Jr. Humboldt really has me tempted to order one which would leave me thinking I would have enough gear for it.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

manicstarseed

There are so many ways to run stereo.I am fortunate to have (2) Mesas, a nomad and express.

Are you looking to use the stereo function on the amp? I am not familiar to the Road King. I will look up teh manual and see what configurations are available.

1) You can run through effects  and use a stereo out(which effects stereo out is another post) to go into the front end of 2 amps, This is  a very versatile setup, you can tweak the pre-amps so one is clean and the add grit to the other.

2) If you love one pre-amp over another, you can use the FX loop send to your stereo effects and return to 2 separate power amps.

I really recommend starting with the  Nova Repeater. The stereo delay is fun and I think the most drastic stereo effect as it can ping-pong between amps. Its really worth experimenting. Stereo does so much in the way of options ant  good tones. Ill look up the Road King and see if there is anything special to the amp that drives a different approach.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

manicstarseed

Im not sure what Mesa RK you have. I Looked at the RK II v1. I did not see anything that makes me think that it can run line-level stereo. The A-B speaker selector is after the power amp, not effect-compatable line level. The (2) FX loop is wired series to each other and not stereo. I think you will need 2 amps to run stereo, is that your plan?

Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Synthesizer->GR-55

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

IamWILSON

Thanks for your replies.  The amp I am using is the Egnator Rebel 20.  It has an effects loop, but not stereo.  It
has speaker outs for 4, 8 and 16 ohm hookups, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be running out of more than one at a time.  I run that to the 2x12 Road King cabinet, which is capable of accepting 2 parallel inputs providing one signal to each speaker.  I like either of your ideas so far about running stereo.  One other concern if I do buy a a combo amp is or even another head is if it will be out of phase? Especially if I run into a 1x12 combo amp and the other signal is running through a 2x12.  Should the heads feeding speakers both be the same ohms?  Does that matter?  Also, I really do like the idea of keeping one channel of a stereo setup clean to avoid too much distortion/overdrive, accept for when I do want a little more saturation and sustain.  
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

manicstarseed

Quote from: IamWILSON on September 16, 2011, 08:53:59 PM
Thanks for your replies.  The amp I am using is the Egnator Rebel 20.  It has an effects loop, but not stereo.  It w
has speaker outs for 4, 8 and 16 ohm hookups, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be running out of more than one at a time.  I run that to the 2x12 Road King cabinet, which is capable of accepting 2 parallel inputs providing one signal to each speaker.  I like either of your ideas so far about running stereo.  One other concern if I do buy a a combo amp is or even another head is if it will be out of phase? Especially if I run into a 1x12 combo amp and the other signal is running through a 2x12.  Should the heads feeding speakers both be the same ohms?  Does that matter?  Also, I really do like the idea of keeping one channel of a stereo setup clean to avoid too much distortion/overdrive, accept for when I do want a little more saturation and sustain.  

1) Phase, never fear... If the combo winds up out of phase, simply swap the two speaker leads that connect to the cabinet jack. I think its industry standard to make speaker connections with blade connectors (Mesa and Fender do it).

2)When connecting a speaker to a tube amp impedance mismatches are safe in an upward manner. (2) 8-ohms in the (2) 4-ohms is a match, rated power to be expected.  (1) 8 ohm in a 4 is fine, roughly half power output (depends on output transformer), (1) 16 in an 8 or 4 is also fine, a single 4 ohm in a 16 jack is asking for a blown speaker or power tubes or transformer. More speakers plugged in at a time is fine. It does affect the tone. I run my Nomad combo using the 8-ohm speaker in the 4-ohm jack to tame the beast. It is a bit spongy but I like it better that way. I can plug (2) more 8 ohms in her and, while affecting tone (perhaps positively), the output would be reduced.

Looking at the your cabinet, it runs (2) 8-ohm speakers and when you run mono, it is 4 ohms.... Mono operation (running 2 speakers ) goes to the 4 ohm and stereo uses the 8 ohm  plugs in each combo.

The stereo split will occur in the FX loop to the power amp or or between the guitar and the amp.

Synthesizer->GR-55

manicstarseed

Looking at your chain again, the Microverb would also be a good place to split the signal.
Looking at your stereo  effects, the combinations are staggering.

Synthesizer->GR-55

IamWILSON

Cool!  I always forget that I have an old Marshall 2x12 combo (nothing special, I think it just has preamp tubes) that an old friend donated to me when he moved away.  I might try some experimenting with the stereo outs in my effects pedals.  I'm particularly interested in hearing the H&K Rotoshere in stereo!  I think I might run that and the Microverb in stereo since they are the last 2 stereo effects in my chain, and send the signal to the 2 separate amps.  I would like to try the NovaRepeater in stereo, but I run that before the boomerang to loop delayed signals (ala Trey), and the boomerang is not stereo.  Then if I can find enough spare cables, I'll try the same 2 effects in the effects loop and see if that makes a difference running into the fx loop on the Marshall.