Not impressed w/ TAB lately

Started by Walker done done, October 07, 2011, 01:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

Yeah, I'm just gonna put it out there.  At first I was bummed that he wasn't coming to Maine or Mass. on this current tour, but I've listened to the Higher Ground show, seen the latest setlist, and to be honest I'm a little bored with the same old routine and song selection.  It just seems more of the same, and I am wondering..."what's the point Trey?"  Is it just a money make thing?  Is it just a chance to play (for the most part) songs he doesn't play w/ Phish?  I dunno...I guess I don't get it. 

And the new songs that are coming out really don't strike me as anything spectacular.  It's still early, so maybe I need to give them a few more attempts or wait until they are further tweaked, but they're all either straight forward stuff or ho-hum ballads.  Where's the balls?  Where's the bad ass-ness?  Where's the wow factor?  Where???

Oh, and that song "Hey Ya"?  It sucks.  It's not even cool.  It was funny the first few times last year, but it's not anymore.  I would be bummed to hear that as a set closer.  Just sayin'.   ::)

:rant over:
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

sour d

If you want to see "balls" go see the project tonight at the big easy. they are opening for some shitty band.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

picture_of_nectar

I concur.

Then again I've never been all that impressed. They have 'had me' a few times, some magic moments. And I always like to see Trey happy on stage having fun. I like Sand. And sometimes Jennifer Hartswick really wows me with her vocals and playing. 

Aside from that...meh.

That said, IF he was coming out West I'd prolly go. Last year I was at Oakland Fox Theater and I had a good time.  I'm glad he's not doing the 1st set 'singalong' again though. I was totally bored with that after like the 3rd old Phish classic. I just think I'd way rather hear him do TAB acoustic solo tunes rather then the old stuff we've all heard a million times and he could play in his sleep.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Walker done done

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on October 12, 2011, 02:45:52 AM
That said, IF he was coming out West I'd prolly go. Last year I was at Oakland Fox Theater and I had a good time.  I'm glad he's not doing the 1st set 'singalong' again though. I was totally bored with that after like the 3rd old Phish classic. I just think I'd way rather hear him do TAB acoustic solo tunes rather then the old stuff we've all heard a million times and he could play in his sleep.

I concur to your concurrence.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

phishlips

good news guys!  I went to the Wellmont show on Wednesday and was blown away.  That is one seriously tight, happening band.  Energy was through the roof all night all.  Trey's playing was phenomenal and he made sure everyone on stage got a chance to show off in all different types of ways. 

Its was really interesting to watch Trey signal changes on the fly and gave me some ideas to work on with my band.  That man has a vision and he see's it perfectly clear, what a band leader. 

If I was gonna be picky at all I think the only thing I'd gripe about would be that he played Sand and then a song later he played First Tube, which is pretty close to the same groove....but like I said, if I was to be picky.

Overall fantastic show!!!  I'd say if you feel that the band has gotten a little lack luster lately by reading setlists, it's time to go see them the first chance you get!!
G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.

picture_of_nectar

ya know I listened to the last TAB show of the tour and have to admit it sounded pretty freakin awesome. Though I would have liked them to explore some more deep improv.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Phabulous

I'm the exact opposite.  I think some of the energy and execution on the 3.0 Phish side is lacking, while Trey seemed REALLY enthused and into it when I caught TAB at the Tabernacle in ATL last year.