how Trey holds his pick

Started by Walker done done, December 04, 2011, 09:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

Hi guys,

I've seen some banter on here wondering about how Trey holds his pick.  At 2:10 in this video from the Newport Folk Festival, you can clearly see he holds it the "regular" way. 

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/trey-anastasio/video/mountains-in-the-mist_1005418.html
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

manicstarseed

Agreed. I see that he holds his pick the "regular way" wen he is strumming on his acoustic.  Now the question is what does he do on his electric?
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

ColForbin

I forget the exact details, but I believe it was Brad Sarno who makes the Jerry SMS tube preamp that Trey had used for a couple of shows.  Anyway, Brad always had thought and had written that Trey held his pick upside down.  But he straight up asked him and this was dispelled as myth.  Trey holds his pick just like everybody else, despite all the writeups out there saying the opposite.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

manicstarseed

Thank you for the additional confirmation Col. Now I wont be trying to do anything "funny" with my Pick. ;D
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

Phabulous

Well, I heard those rumors way back, copped it because Trey was (and is) my hero, and now I truly can't play anyway else.  The "regular way" seems really weird and awkward to me now.  LOL.

Happyorange27

Quote from: Phabulous on December 16, 2011, 04:34:06 PM
Well, I heard those rumors way back, copped it because Trey was (and is) my hero, and now I truly can't play anyway else.  The "regular way" seems really weird and awkward to me now.  LOL.
I somehow missed this thread. Anyway I agree with Phabulous. Maybe Trey would play better if he went with the "goofy foot" style.  ;D
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Happyorange27

Ok so I started playing regular pick style after this thread. I used to play regular back in the day. I wasn't sure I could pull it off. I'm finding that it's not hindering me as I thought it would. And actually I can bite the notes better. If I leave just the right amount of pick exposed it flows really well. Habits are hard to change.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

dabomb

I totally hold the pick upside-down...Are there disadvanatges?

Happyorange27

Quote from: dabomb on January 06, 2012, 03:09:25 PM
I totally hold the pick upside-down...Are there disadvanatges?
It's a disadvantage if it works better for you the other way.  Otherwise stick to what is comfortable and yields better performance.

Phabulous

I can't change now.  I like it because I get a lot of the skin of my thumb in there, and it's easy to get those pinch harmonic things going.  Drawback is I'll never have Jerry's articulation.  Check that -- I'll never have ANYTHING on Jerry's level.  Just wanted to clarify that!

Happyorange27

Walker done done

Quote from: Happyorange27 on May 24, 2012, 11:28:31 AM
One more confirmation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6TIGxcghQzY#
at 6:03

Great shot.  That's the best one I've seen yet.  Too funny how all these rumors pop up of the way Trey holds his pick.  People need to get a life.  Actually, scratch that....the less life they have, the more for the rest of us!
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

ColForbin

Quote from: Walker done done on May 25, 2012, 02:39:35 PM
Great shot.  That's the best one I've seen yet.  Too funny how all these rumors pop up of the way Trey holds his pick.  People need to get a life.  Actually, scratch that....the less life they have, the more for the rest of us!

Kind of like the Teese wah myth, or wait, was that a myth?  Did we figure that it was just in fact a GCB95 wah?  Probably true bypass modded?  I am potentially derailing a thread here...
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

MomaDan

Quote from: ColForbin on May 25, 2012, 02:50:13 PM
Quote from: Walker done done on May 25, 2012, 02:39:35 PM

Kind of like the Teese wah myth, or wait, was that a myth?  Did we figure that it was just in fact a GCB95 wah?  Probably true bypass modded?  I am potentially derailing a thread here...

Brian said its a GCB but there is no real proof. I think the quote is "Trey went through a bunch of them till he found the one he liked."
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Happyorange27