Phans against Delay Loops

Started by Brian27, February 26, 2012, 02:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian27

What is the deal with the into to Ghost and Delay Loops? What is so bad about a Delay Loop in any Phish song?

MomaDan

Whats the difference between delay loops and the Rang loops? 97 is my favorite year but I could see how the background loops could get annoying, especially when Trey is layering 3 or more for an entire song. I love the digital delay loop jams of 94 also, 12/29 Bowie is killer!!!! One of the best jams
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Brian27

Id have to let somebody else tell you the differences in the 2 cause its alot and i dont have the patience to list them all. If Trey used the DM2000 like Kirk Hammet uses his wah on every solo id understand how it could be annoying and in some cases it is annoying but still its part of Treys signature sound and i think people should except it. I forget which song it was at Bonnaroo but in 2002 during a song Trey had Audience participation with the band and during that time a Delay loop was going on and that segment seemed to last forever and the Delay loop was contiuous throughout that whole part and it was annoying but the intro to Ghost? Give me a fuckin break.

MomaDan

I found this from phish.net on the history of Digital Delay Loop Jams: All of the "DDLJ" loops are the product of Trey's Ibanez DM 2000 Digital Delay; whereas the "Ghost" style loops which are more prevalent since 1997 are generated by a Boomerang phrase sampler.

I agree with you completely about the loops. Phish's recent style has gone away from loops altogether so it shouldnt be an issue. The Rang seems to really only be used to repeat effects and screeches with the Whammy like in First Tube, or for the reverse sound. Maybe by 2000 some phans were just tired of the looping sound, dunno I wasnt listening to Phish at that time. Phish always goes through phases with their effects 94=delay loops, 95=Leslie, 97=wah, this year with the Theramin and so on
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

JamVol

He also uses the boomerang to loop single notes and then plays off of the note he looped.  If you check out the bathtub gin on vimeo from the Denver shows at dicks sporting goods park you can see him loop a C note on the b string 13th fret then plays a killer little rhythm pattern.  He actually does this alot.
Guitars:  Ibanez ADJ91,  Ibanez AWD82, Martin D41  
Effects: GBC95--Ibanez Tubescreamer--Effects Pedal Boutique SRB808 plus Duel Drive--CmatMods Ross Clone--Nova Repeater--Boss TU-2--Digitech Jamman Delay                           
Amp: Fender DDRI
Effects not in use: Whammy 4 and various other crap

Brian27

Heavy Things is a signature song for those single note loops

sour d

I love the loops. If you haven't already, read the guitar player magazine interview in, I think august of 2000. Trey tells exactly how he uses both the dm2000 and the rang to create loops.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Walker done done

Quote from: sour d on February 28, 2012, 09:01:10 PM
I love the loops. If you haven't already, read the guitar player magazine interview in, I think august of 2000. Trey tells exactly how he uses both the dm2000 and the rang to create loops.

I also like the loops, as long as they don't go on the entire song.  I very much recall a 2nd set-ending Ghost from 7/1/00 Hartford where he kept the siren loop going the entire song...and it actually made me puke.  True story.  What a dink.   :D  But really, an entire song?  That's a little much.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.