Non-Phish songs to learn

Started by MomaDan, July 17, 2012, 01:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MomaDan

Yup I guess im officially a Phishhead, the last 5 songs I've learned have been Phish songs maybe more.  Been trying to learn some ABB recently I love Warren Haynes style. What are some fun songs that you guys know, to learn?
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Heady Jam Fan

Jessica is awesome, Melisa is cool too. I just joined a classic rock cover band and they play Ramblin Man, just started to learn that tune, but we haven't practiced it yet. I also love In Memory.

Did you want other things than ABB?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

sour d

Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

IamWILSON

Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Heady Jam Fan

If not just ABB, learn the entire Best of Jimi Hendrix ;), some SRV like Pride and Joy, both really helps with blues and some songs help with applying arpeggios IMO - SRV seems to stick to arpeggios in the scale shape he is soloing in, while Hendrix tends to move depending on the chord shape he has in mind - both help me remember to think of chords while playing a lead.

Some jazz tunes like So What, Take 5 (cool chromaticism and 5/4 timing), Autumn Leaves (good way to learn the circle), Sir Duke is just fun and awesome, I also really like Hubbard's Red Clay for some hard-bop (more fun to play on Bass).

For Phish-like stuff, I would look into U-Melt, like the tune Infectious Groove.

I also agree with learning Zeppelin, if you don't mind playing in Amin the whole time ;)

Pink Floyd is great for learning how to get a lot out of not so many notes; great phrasing, looks simple on paper, but all about ornamentation.

Also, Clapton is great to learn for something looks easy on paper a lot of the time, but the call him slow-hand for a reason, hard to cop his feel (listen to him play with Rob Robertson in the Last Waltz, Rob sounds like a little kid at GC in comparison), but once you learn to slow-down and step back like he does, I think it helps to see a larger picture in phrasing than what note comes next. Garcia solo's can have a similar, laid back feel, but he is usually playing behind the beat a bit.

If you want something completely different, I was recently reminded of how cool alternate tunings can be and if I find time I want to re-learn some Pierre Bensusan (DADGAD), I really like Steve Stills' Black Queen.

If you want a real, real challenge though, try to learn Franz Lizt's Transcendental Etudes (I learned some of the 10th on guitar early in High School, but couldn't play all the notes) - really helps with jazz theory (if you take the time to macro-analyze) and completely new things you have to do with the left hand.

That oughtta keep ya busy for a year ;) But those are probably some of the things that had the biggest influences on me, off the top of my head. I am sure you had a more specific direction in mind as to what you wanted to learn though.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

MomaDan

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on July 17, 2012, 04:16:50 PM
If not just ABB, learn the entire Best of Jimi Hendrix ;), some SRV like Pride and Joy, both really helps with blues and some songs help with applying arpeggios IMO - SRV seems to stick to arpeggios in the scale shape he is soloing in, while Hendrix tends to move depending on the chord shape he has in mind - both help me remember to think of chords while playing a lead.

Some jazz tunes like So What, Take 5 (cool chromaticism and 5/4 timing), Autumn Leaves (good way to learn the circle), Sir Duke is just fun and awesome, I also really like Hubbard's Red Clay for some hard-bop (more fun to play on Bass).

Anything really not just ABB. Its funny you mention So What and Take 5, I just started learning So What yesterday and learned Take 5 a couple weeks ago. I just feel like I've been learning songs in the same genre recently, so any inspiration helps!
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Happyorange27

Heady that was kind of vague. Can you be more specific.   I'm kidding!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Happyorange27 on July 17, 2012, 09:34:14 PM
Heady that was kind of vague. Can you be more specific.   I'm kidding!

Lol, I was thinking the OP was vague, which prompted my purge ;)

Walker done done

I like this thread because I'm always looking for new tunes to play.  Check out our setlists on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Heavy-Dime/112079215276) we do a bunch of non-Phish stuff.  Used to play more than we do now, but lately it's been migrating back to Phishy stuff.  Some of the older setlists (like from a year ago or more) showcased a more diverse Heavy Dime.  I've been trying to get back to that but we've had some turnover (bass & keys) over the last year and it's been slow going bringing them up to speed on everything.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

fulltone1989

Dead tunes are always fun to play live too.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

ColForbin

Quote from: fulltone1989 on July 19, 2012, 04:59:54 PM

Amen to that, our band has been covering Shakedown, One more Saturday Night and Fire on the mountain on and off for a few years.  We most recently got into, Deal and China Cat Sunflower.  Fun, fun times playing those at hippie festivals.  We've occasionally done I know you rider as well.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

fulltone1989

Quote from: ColForbin on July 20, 2012, 07:02:28 AM
Quote from: fulltone1989 on July 19, 2012, 04:59:54 PM

Amen to that, our band has been covering Shakedown, One more Saturday Night and Fire on the mountain on and off for a few years.  We most recently got into, Deal and China Cat Sunflower.  Fun, fun times playing those at hippie festivals.  We've occasionally done I know you rider as well.

Haha sweet those are always fun tunes to play. I know you rider is a great song to jam into!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.