Random thoughts on performing

Started by Stecks, December 11, 2012, 03:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stecks

I'm not as good as when the sycophants tell me that I kicked ass on stage.  Maybe I did.  But I can probably do better.  If people had fun, that's the important thing - its not about how many notes I can play or how fast I can play them.  Its always nice to hear compliments, but people are more likely to say positive things than make a point to tell you how awful you are.

I'm probably not as bad as I think I am when I feel like I underperformed and generally sucked and embarrassed myself and my teammates and let everyone down.  And when people tell me how awful I am, its probably not about me - more about them.

Its probably somewhere in between - I never like to get too high on myself, or too low on myself.  If I had to choose one, I'd go low - it'll drive me to get better.  Ego, narcissism, and self absorption aren't good traits for developing musicianship.  The MUSIC is the big thing - not my instrument - I'm just adding flavor to the entree. 

Its a wonderful thing to keep on learning and growing. 

Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Heady Jam Fan

Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Walker done done

Well put.  I often feel the same way.  Being a Patriots fan and seeing a lot of their press conferences, I often take a page out of the Tomb Brady/Bill Bellichick book when it comes to that stuff.  You don't see them patting themselves on the back too often, and is response to a reporters question about the game it's always about where they need to be better and getting back in the film room and doing better in practice.  Someone comes up to me after a gig or during set break and says "awww man, you guys (or you) kicked ass tonight, holy shit!" and I'm often sitting there thinking of the places where I need to improve or the spots that I (or the band) may've missed.  But I think you're right on with a lot of what you said there.  Good evaluation.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

dabomb

Right, nobody is as good, or as bad, as people say

webephishin

"Adding flavor to the entree" - I love that quote...I'm going to use that if you don't mind?

I am the same way after playing a show...when ppl come up to me and give me praise I usually kindly and appreciatively accept it from them, but deep down I'm thinking about that part I/We (as the band) messed up on, or that part that should've been more dynamically sound or tight.  There's always parts during the show when I think the sound just sounds muzzled and crappy.  Just sounds like a bunch of noise and everyone is raging.  But then at the end of the show I discuss the sound with a couple of our closer friends/fans that were in the crowd and have a good sense of musicality/sound/talent.  The majority of the time these ppl say the sound is great and everyone balanced eachother out well.  Maybe I'm not yet used to the sound on stage vs the sound you hear in the crowd.  After all, we are a foot or 2 in front of our respective amps/speakers....do any of you have this same problem?
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

picture_of_nectar

It always drives me crazy when people come up after a gig and say things like, "good job." I know they are just trying to be nice and all, but really? I dunno. I'd rather not hear that...

I'm pretty new to gigging, been a couple years and 20 or so gigs. I had to get use to interacting with people in the bar that want to tell me something about the music. I'm ussualy pretty shy in bar type situations.

Been learning a ton about how to adapt to different situations, there really aren't many venues in my area, most have tiny 'stages.' Dealing with sound has been one of the hardest learning curves. When you are stacked all on top of eachother and on top of your amps, it all just sounds so much different then the rehearsal space. In small clubs there's rarely time for a real soundcheck. When you are pulling $200-$400 if you are lucky here, hiring a sound guy never seems worth it. It's tough to run live sound from the stage while playing. You can't really hear what's going on in the room so the best you can do is rely on a friend to give you feedback on the levels.

We've been really trying hard to consciously push our stage volumes down, trying to fight the volume wars. Our drummer is usually the first to crank it up.  I'm usually gigging with a Princeton Reverb which can get burried pretty quickly if all four of us start pushing hard. It's not my first choice for a live amp, but I've been chastised for bringing my higher power amps and being too loud...at somepoint I just decided it's not worth fighting over and I'll just let the band decide what gear I use. This was humbling.

We usually mic all the amps and put them through our monitors. So if I'm right on top of my amp Im often hearing the monitor better then the amp. Dialing in the monitor mix without pushing them too loud is really important. My gear has the smallest footprint so it seems I'm always just squeezed in wherever, usually right up tight next to the drum kit...always fun when all I can hear are crash cymbals.

Bottom line though, is that playing out for people, when the crowd gets into it...is one of the more fun things I've ever done. I don't really care if we ever make any money at it or are considered a descent band or whatever. I just wanna have fun doing it, and if the crowd has fun I feel really content.

This is a cool topic. Lots to talk about and learn!
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Stecks

Quote from: webephishin on December 11, 2012, 08:49:57 PM
"Adding flavor to the entree" - I love that quote...I'm going to use that if you don't mind?

After all, we are a foot or 2 in front of our respective amps/speakers....do any of you have this same problem?
Quote from: picture_of_nectar on December 12, 2012, 02:50:55 AM
Bottom line though, is that playing out for people, when the crowd gets into it...is one of the more fun things I've ever done. I don't really care if we ever make any money at it or are considered a descent band or whatever. I just wanna have fun doing it, and if the crowd has fun I feel really content.

This is a cool topic. Lots to talk about and learn!

@Webephishin - Go ahead and use it, you have carte blanche.  Just give me some props :)   And yeah, I have the same problem at times, especially if I'm not on my rig, or playing with new people.  Its nice to have sound guys...  Maybe one day (sigh)

@nectar - Yep, I hate volume wars.  My 71 Twin usually can win that battle, but I'm not remotely interested in the fight.  I usually tell the bass players to turn up.  And I couldn't agree more - when the crowd gets into it... that's the ultimate!   Its funny, for so long I was so focused on my playing that I'd forget that there are people listening.  Then I kind of realized that maybe I should recognize the audience a bit more - and I think it made a big difference - I try to look around and if there's at least ONE person who's into it, then I am doing what I'm supposed to be doing, at least for that one person, anyway.  And that puts me in a good mood, which makes me play better.  I think we've all had that moment where we are just slogging along and feel rudderless, stinking up the joint without direction. 

When I feel like I'm way off, I try to make it right by what I play NEXT.  I think having a short memory and being able to let go of mistakes is a skill that I am constantly trying to develop further.  It can be hard.  I always want to put my best foot forward, sometimes both of them stink.  One shoe has a hole in it and the other has dog doo stuck to the bottom.  Another thing I have to work on is slowing down, not being too frickin' cute... nervous energy causes overplaying, at least for me.  And I think what helps me in that situation is, again, looking around the room and seeing if people are into it.  If they aren't, time to change my approach.  If they are, keep doing what's working.  I often get too cute - maybe a few people think "that guy shreds" but maybe its not the most engaging experience for a lot of people.  You can't choose your listeners...  I think I need to do a better job of working with what I have, and that requires more awareness on my part.  The other night my boy and I had a great impromptu jam, people were into it, and we had a blast.  And I had no intention of playing that night, when I was requested to play, I had this freak-out for about 30 seconds, "I can't remember any tunes, I'm going to be a trainwreck!"  And it ended up being awesome, we were told that we stole the show.  I wasn't even thinking about that at the time, I just remember having a bunch of fun!  So maybe that should be the goal, right?  Having fun? 

Obviously, you can't please everyone.  But pleasing SOMEONE is what pleases me...  (anyone also notice how you can draw about a bajillion parallels between music/instruments and sex/relationships?)  :)
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Happyorange27

Awesome thread here. Yeah playing music is totally like having sex. The goal is to get them off.. Period.  Like when you go see Phish, you want to get off.  Remember you have to connect to the audience. Water it down if you have to and concentrate in dynamics and articulation. Make some eye contact with people which takes some effort. I tend to play with my eyes closed when strumming some emotional chords. This is fine at times because you are putting your feeling into it but I have to make an effort to engage the audience.
We all have reservations about our performing and how we are interpreted. I don't think I'm egotistical but I sure as hell convey confidence which drive your music more than anything. Of course you need to have practiced ahead of time. Once you come off effortlessly and it's apparent that you are not actively thinking about every note or chord, then the audience feels that flow and you are in harmony with them.
Talking about this makes me miss playing out. Happy Orange has played to many folks over the years and we had a knack for totally captivating an audience. That is some serious energy and its intoxicating. I'm actually much better as a singer/songwriter/acoustic rythm player. Electric guitar is cool too but it reveals my limitations.
Build your solos like good orgasms.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Stecks

Music and sex... how did we let this thread die?

Playing music with others and having sex are probably the two most intimate and wild experiences out there, to me anyway.  Can't get enough of either.  Even when its a bad jam or bad sex, its still not bad.  Beats playing alone... and with both, the more the merrier! :)

Its all about connecting as Happy Orange wonderfully stated.  Connecting with your partners.  Feeding off one another's energy.  Knowing when to speed up, slow down...

And this is probably one of my top ten rules for music, sex, life, etc:

When things get intense, remember to breathe. 

Happyorange27

I had a really cool older guitar teacher when I was in high school and he said that if you play the right song for a girl she will drop her pants for you. You know that when you're a teenager this sounds like the fucking coolest thing ever.  And I know from experience that this does work.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Stecks

Quote from: Happyorange27 on December 27, 2012, 11:08:07 AM
I had a really cool older guitar teacher when I was in high school and he said that if you play the right song for a girl she will drop her pants for you. You know that when you're a teenager this sounds like the fucking coolest thing ever.  And I know from experience that this does work.

Can't disagree.  Chicks dig the long ball.