Trey's Bruno 4x12 cabinet

Started by BigKD, January 11, 2013, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigKD

Anybody know if it is closed, open, or half open. Also what kind of speakers are in it!?

the_great_lemon

Hi and welcome!!!  ;D

I think he has some Celestion Alnico Blues in the Bruno cab.

Not sure about the back though. Maybe look for some pics of his rig in '09 when he stilled used it?  Or watch the Speciman's of Beauty DVD that came with the Undermind CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mQ5Il5d0M

Good luck!
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Heady Jam Fan

Hey - wassup Kevin!

Lemon - I think your right about C. Blues in the Bruno, but I don't know about the cabs back. I did watch that video you posted and tried to keep looking for a shot of the cab, but didn't see anything.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

I'm still very hung up on finding out exactly why Trey 2009 is so very unique and I can tell you within 5 seconds of a Phish recording that it is an 09 show.  The sustain is just so abundant, even at very low volumes.  Also his notes always seek the 2nd and 3rd harmonics with the 2009 rig.  Is it because he was using the Bruno cab with 4 speakers, moving more air?  I don't know but I need to figure this out.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Walker done done

Do it, Happy!  Eagerly awaiting the results of your findings.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Poster

when you have to push a 4x12 cabinet, you have to use more power, pushing the amp into saturation faster even at perceived lower volumes.
Use your amp to push 4 12's, and it has to compensate. The compression is coming from the amp being pushed. There's your answer

Down_With_Sco

I know nothing about the Bruno cab other than the fact that I don't like when Trey uses it. Not a fan of the tone it produces... (at least with Phish in 09)
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Happyorange27

Quote from: Poster on April 02, 2014, 02:51:24 PM
when you have to push a 4x12 cabinet, you have to use more power, pushing the tranny on the amp into saturation faster even at perceived lower volumes.
Use your amp to push 4 12's, and it has to compensate. The compression is coming from the amp being pushed. There's your answer

Poster thanks for your technical answer.  I honestly need to think through this a bit or quantify it so that it makes complete sense in my brain.  I figured that as long as the sum of the Ohms of the cabinet are equal to the sum of the Ohms in the smaller cab, that the tranny might not know the difference?? (If they are equivalent).  Anyway I'll smoke a fatty and think about it some more. 8)
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

Well the tranny doesnt necessarily know any difference. Your pushing more power through the entire amp, and as a result,  pushes it into saturation sooner. Ive noticed this stuff when using my different cabinets ie lopo line 4x12 straight, heritage 4x12 slant, multiple combos, mesa thiele 1x12's x 2, couple mojotone 2x12's closed and open back, and my current mesa lonestar 2x12. Depending on what your running, how many speakers your pushing, the amp is going to act a bit different. Combine that with a particular speaker compliment that is efficient and breaks up typically at X point, you can get into some super compressed sounding spaces. Also the internal combo speaker may have hooked up, so even more magnets to push... you get the idea?

great demo of this concept is with a fender Princeton or Deluxe or something lower power fender combo. Unplug the internal speaker and plug into a 4x12 cabinet, but keep your original volume / bass setting as they were originally. Bass is perceived as volume. There should be an obvious change in volume output and bass response, ie the bass may be a bit flabby, and need rolling back, the volume boosted slightly to compensate. The reality is that a 4x12 needs more space to project properly, i digress, your amp has to work harder. If your pushing a compressed guitar signal into that amp anyway, and dont compensate on the comp settings, its going to get super squishy.

Happyorange27

Cool man, thanks for the report   ::)  :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(