Star Lake DVD

Started by fulltone1989, January 14, 2013, 11:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Holy smokes, great concert DVD. Went through set 1 last night after work and the jams are really exploratory and enjoyable to listen to. I really dig the Wolfman's and Julius (crazy outside playing) and the Ginseng Sullivan and Bittersweet Motel has really nice interplay between members. Set 2 tonight!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Stecks

Truly a great show.  Summer 98 had such a fun vibe to it, tons of random covers, great jamming.  I had a blast at this show. 
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, thats fuckin awesome. Love the artwork with all of our bridges - Star Lake is really close to me!

The PGH show a few years ago, my friends and I had 3 full-size buses of people, one went to my house and picked a bunch of us up and met the other buses and more people at the bar.

I've seen so many great shows there, that is one of the last places the Grateful Dead played, June 1995 and Jerry passed in August. I think my parents and uncle were at that show.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

the_great_lemon

I got the DVD for Christmas this year, and besides the tix to the Dec. 28-30th shows at MSG, that is my most used gift!  Truely awesome playing!

I've heard that people say Phish "was over in 1995"....bunch of nut jobs if you ask me
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

IamWILSON

Quote from: the_great_lemon on January 14, 2013, 07:50:12 PM

I've heard that people say Phish "was over in 1995"....bunch of nut jobs if you ask me

I can really see how some people think Phish peaked in '95.  I don't necessarily agree with it, but just imagine if you saw a bunch of shows from '92 to '95.  By '96 their sound started to change again.  And if you were accustomed to the early 90's I can see it turning you off.  However '96 was very much a transition year for the band and there were some great shows in the summer of '97, but fall of '97 through summer '98 is just ridiculously amazing.  Of course I'm partial to summer '98 because I saw every show (previously I was catching 6 or 7 shows per tour), and they really did blow my mind night after night. 

In fact, go to nugs.net because you can stream the entire '98 summer tour there and check out the dark horse "sleeper" run of the tour from Phoenix through 3 shows in Texas, and then the Bonner Springs, KS show.  Those 5 shows were just absolutely amazing.  I can't remember exactly, but there was only 5 or 6 songs repeated during those 5 shows, one of which was YEM which they decided to play 2 shows in a row! If I had a time machine I would totally go relive fall '97 and summer '98, then go back and check out '95 and '92 as those are 2 of my other favorite phish years.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

the_great_lemon

Quote from: IamWILSON on January 14, 2013, 08:21:09 PM
Quote from: the_great_lemon on January 14, 2013, 07:50:12 PM

I can really see how some people think Phish peaked in '95.  I don't necessarily agree with it, but just imagine if you saw a bunch of shows from '92 to '95.  By '96 their sound started to change again.  And if you were accustomed to the early 90's I can see it turning you off.  However '96 was very much a transition year for the band and there were some great shows in the summer of '97, but fall of '97 through summer '98 is just ridiculously amazing.  Of course I'm partial to summer '98 because I saw every show (previously I was catching 6 or 7 shows per tour), and they really did blow my mind night after night. 

In fact, go to nugs.net because you can stream the entire '98 summer tour there and check out the dark horse "sleeper" run of the tour from Phoenix through 3 shows in Texas, and then the Bonner Springs, KS show.  Those 5 shows were just absolutely amazing.  I can't remember exactly, but there was only 5 or 6 songs repeated during those 5 shows, one of which was YEM which they decided to play 2 shows in a row! If I had a time machine I would totally go relive fall '97 and summer '98, then go back and check out '95 and '92 as those are 2 of my other favorite phish years.

Yeah I have seen the Free Stash on nugs.net...I love that stuff and I'll be sure to check out those that you mentioned.

I agree with all of your points!!  They had their 'Arena Rock' peak in '95 for sure, but saying they were over after that is a bit of an overstatement.
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper

Stecks

The 7.31 Polaris "Cities" is a tour highlight, as well as the 8.11.98 Vernon Downs entire show.  One of the best I've seen.
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

fulltone1989

1998 is one of my favorite years. I want to check out the Walnut Creek DVD that 7-22-98 is awesome!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

fulltone1989

the_great_lemon

Yup, that's what it looks like. 

It's interesting, you can start to see him implement the DRs in videos from the NYE run in '97 and the Island Tour '98 along WITH his rack + Languedoc cabinets (using one at MSG and two on the Island Tour).  I guess by mid '98 he had ditched the rack mounted pre-amp and power amp thing in favor of the DRs.

Heady Jam Fan

I think Trey said his favorite sound was from the DR.?. But the fans like the Mesa
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9