Main Menu

Modding a Ts-9

Started by Deadicated Phan, May 19, 2013, 11:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadicated Phan

So I have an Analogman Brown mod Ts9, and while I love it, it seems like I hear that the original early 80s Ts9's are the best. My Ts9 is actually an original that was modded, so I'm wondering if I could mod it back to vintage specs. OR if I could mod a new Ts9 back to vintage specs (if there's really Difference?). What components do I need?

Thanks!
RMC 3>Whammy 4>AM ts-9 Brown>Maxon OD808>GCX--Mutron 3+>Boss Octave>DOD 250+>Phase 100>DM2000>Microverb 1>Boomerang+

Guitar: PRS Hollowbody II, Fender American Strat w/ Custom Shop Fat 50s
Amp: 1965 Fender Deluxe Amp, 1972 Blackfaced Twin Reverb
Cabs: Deluxe w/ Celestial Gold, Twin w/ stock speakers, Marshall 4x12 w/ Emi. Red, White, and Blues, Hard Truckers JG-1 w/ JBL K120 (looking for another speaker to go with it)

Heady Jam Fan

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The circuits didn't change over time except the chip - as long as you have a good chip, no worries (the best is considered to be the JRC4558D).

I think the best explanation why the originals sound better is component drift - over time, especially when being used, the value of components supposedly change slightly. And IIRC that mod only changes a few resistors to 1960's carbon comp resistors. In other words, replacing the NOS '60's high quality resistors with lower quality new-stock resistors doesn't make sense as a means to get back to the original specs. Maybe if you still had the resistors Mike removed when he did the mod... Even then, IMHO, once a pedal is modded, it is modded.

If you can't stop wondering if a completely original original would be better, keep an eye on craigslist and try a few out maybe. From one original to the next, there is a noticeable difference - my 83 is smoother than my 82. I'll bet someone on TGP would give you a decent amount for your pedal if you find an original your really like.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Deadicated Phan

Thanks! There is actually an original on my Craigslist for $200, but I'm saving for a Mark III. Maybe I will try it out just to see   :D I have a Maxon OD808 as my second OD but I don't really like it. Way to bright. Maybe ill sell that to fund another Ts9.
RMC 3>Whammy 4>AM ts-9 Brown>Maxon OD808>GCX--Mutron 3+>Boss Octave>DOD 250+>Phase 100>DM2000>Microverb 1>Boomerang+

Guitar: PRS Hollowbody II, Fender American Strat w/ Custom Shop Fat 50s
Amp: 1965 Fender Deluxe Amp, 1972 Blackfaced Twin Reverb
Cabs: Deluxe w/ Celestial Gold, Twin w/ stock speakers, Marshall 4x12 w/ Emi. Red, White, and Blues, Hard Truckers JG-1 w/ JBL K120 (looking for another speaker to go with it)

Heady Jam Fan

Yea - try that original if you can, $200 is a pretty good price - one of mine was less, one was more.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

sour d

To mod a ts9 to 808 spec requires more than just swapping the opamp chip. It also involves changing the ouput resistors to ones of a different value. If you take some good pics of your circuit board I can tell you exactly whats been done to yours and if it is an original early 80's ts9.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: sour d on May 20, 2013, 01:41:29 PM
To mod a ts9 to 808 spec requires more than just swapping the opamp chip. It also involves changing the ouput resistors to ones of a different value. If you take some good pics of your circuit board I can tell you exactly whats been done to yours and if it is an original early 80's ts9.

His pedal might have had the 4558D chip from the start - can you tell if the chip was original or a replacement?

I couldn't remember of the brown mod changes the pedal to an 808 - so not only were some of the resistors change to carbon comp, but some in the output section were replaced with slightly different value resistors.

sour d

You can tell when the chip was made by the serial number. 80's jrc4558d's would have a 4 digit code starting with a 1, 2, 3, or 4. A lot of the original ts808 pedals had texas instruments rc4558p chips. I like the vintage jrc's or modern rc4558p's.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Heady Jam Fan

IIRC, Keeley likes the 'p's