Trimming the fat

Started by fulltone1989, August 08, 2013, 10:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

I ran a Proton - Zen - Comp - ARDx20 w amazeo last night during my practice session last night and I was really happy with the tones I was getting. I got a PT mini and I am excited about running a smaller setup for band practice and gigs. The only gripe is using a one spot or cutting up a spot for a VL PP2 unit, because sticking a tuner on there is key for live for me, and the AM combo takes up two spots.

How many of you guys trim up your pedal chain for a simpler setup and a perceived more-organic tone? I think my guitar sounds just as nice bufferless going through a few pedals vs my PT-1 setup (In sig) 
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

I'm guessing you probably have a pedal on most of the time. If so, a buffer is often redundant. Going through less pedals - TB or Buffered - will improve your tone (or using a TB looper). The VL PP2+ has 8 outlets - oughta power that board no problem. I like a simpler rig when possible though.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on August 08, 2013, 08:47:36 PM
I'm guessing you probably have a pedal on most of the time. If so, a buffer is often redundant. Going through less pedals - TB or Buffered - will improve your tone (or using a TB looper). The VL PP2+ has 8 outlets - oughta power that board no problem. I like a simpler rig when possible though.

I usually leave my comp on before my delay, so yes. It just feels nicer using your fingers more instead of relying on effects for your sounds. Swirly stuff and delay is a bit tough but have a dynamic overdrive or two is really great!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

fulltone1989

Thought I'd bump this thread with a new finding. While I was noodling I decided to put my compressor between the two OD's I use. I ran OD9 silver (max scream) into the Ross clone then out to the Timmy. It was fantastic and I am kind of mad I waited so long to try it out. The Timmy functioned as an excellent volume boost when stacked and was great for rhythm by itself. I have a gig friday so I'll report on how it sounds at those levels.

Stecks

Ok I know this is blasphemy because I've been chastised about this once on here already, but I've been dropping my Ross from my rig again
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

fulltone1989

Quote from: Stecks on August 14, 2013, 03:22:37 PM
Ok I know this is blasphemy because I've been chastised about this once on here already, but I've been dropping my Ross from my rig again

Heathennnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!

JK. Shalom.

For the last three gigs I haven't used a TS, its ok. Well I guess the Zen drive is tube screamery, so is the Blue Note too in "hot" mode, but I digress.

I've found that live and at rehearsals it's very essential for me for just a tad of compression to make my tone come through better in the mix. When stacking two ODs with the comp on I found things to get very mushy instead of the volume boost I got when doing OD -> Comp -> OD.