Time guitar I used to own, now on ebay (again)

Started by cactuskeeb, September 07, 2013, 04:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactuskeeb

I owned this very instrument for about a year when I was in college.  I f'd around on ebay a lot instead of going to class.  This was 2002, so rare items like this were beginning to show up quite often.  I bought it for around 700 and sold it for a little under that.  Ha.  Now look at the price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-I-M-E-GUITAR-MADE-IN-VERMONT-RARE-EXPLORER-XS-12-1983-RARE-TIME-GUITAR-/141041000490?pt=Guitar&hash=item20d6b2e02a

BTW, The guitar had great action and the fretboard and neck felt superb.  It sounded like sh*t, though, and looked even worse.  Those pictures on the auction page have been touched up considerably.  In reality it looks a lot more weathered.

Heady Jam Fan

Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

cactuskeeb

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on September 07, 2013, 04:19:06 PM
I'll never come to you for investment advice.

To be fair, I was only 22 when I decided to sell it.  I was a dumb college kid who needed the cash right then.

cactuskeeb

And, everyone laughed it when I tried to integrate the guitar into band practice.   :(  

There were several other Time guitars on ebay that I almost bought around the same time.  They were all in the 600-800 dollar range.  Man.  If only I'd been *even more* impulsive in my purchase habits...

picture_of_nectar

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: cactuskeeb on September 07, 2013, 04:47:32 PM
And, everyone laughed it when I tried to integrate the guitar into band practice.   :(  

There were several other Time guitars on ebay that I almost bought around the same time.  They were all in the 600-800 dollar range.  Man.  If only I'd been *even more* impulsive in my purchase habits...

Well, since your strategy is *more* impulsivity... then I'm down to invest
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

cactuskeeb

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on September 07, 2013, 06:47:36 PM

Assuming there isn't thinly veiled sarcasm beneath your comment, I'm afraid that I am no condition to commit to such a strategy.  You see, I could have bought the Languedoc that appeared Thursday on ebay.  However, *this time* the thought of 20 years of paying credit card interest charges actually caused me to abort.  I'm sorry, inasmuch as unbridled impulsivity is concerned, it seems I've lost the edge; henceforth, you'll have to seek another for investment planning/advice.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: cactuskeeb on September 08, 2013, 04:06:26 AM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on September 07, 2013, 06:47:36 PM

Assuming there isn't thinly veiled sarcasm beneath your comment, I'm afraid that I am no condition to commit to such a strategy.  You see, I could have bought the Languedoc that appeared Thursday on ebay.  However, *this time* the thought of 20 years of paying credit card interest charges actually caused me to abort.  I'm sorry, inasmuch as unbridled impulsivity is concerned, it seems I've lost the edge; henceforth, you'll have to seek another for investment planning/advice.

Certainly I can assure you any sarcasm you may be referring to isn't thinly veiled or veiled at all.

Sorry to hear you lost your edge, I find a binge can always bring back a bit of impulsivity albeit for the short-term.

I agree there is a big downside that really draws away from the excitement of the purchase when you know you have to pay it off for an extended period of time. I was pretty damn lucky to get my Artinger for the price I paid.

Time guitars are cool - I'm sure Paul learned and grew a lot as a Luthier there, but I can't help but feel the Languedoc guitar is leaps and bounds from Time. Not necessarily in quality, but the Doc is just such a unique build its hard to see a developmental trajectory pointing from Time to what Paul ended up making for Trey. I wonder what went into building the first Languedoc: influences, trial and error, etc. I wonder if there are any funky looking first attempt builds - if so I'd like to see them.