Main Menu

TIM OD

Started by Jkendrick, January 30, 2014, 04:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkendrick

Over the past five years I haven't really plugged in. I got married, was out of the country for a year, had twin boys, and bought a new house. I played acoustic when I could, but just never found the time to
jam electric. The other day I fired up the amp and was trying to dial in a tone and was really struggling with my TIM. Today I realized/remembered that the TIM has roll off dials. Duh! I thought I was going crazy. Anyway just thought it was funny and didn't find a TIM thread here. Anyone use one (or a Timmy)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Heady Jam Fan

I've had a few of them over the years. Great pedal - a lot of people say its works best with Marshall amps, but I only used it with Fenders.

Everyone uses it as a 'transparent' overdrive (no tonal effect, sounds just like the guitar into the amp). Try setting it up this way too:
- turn the treble and bass all the way down to get as much midrange as possible.
- turn the drive knob all the way up (volume to taste).
- start adding treble back in until you have enough bite to cut through in a band.
- then play with the clipping toggle switch. IIRC, I liked the more compressed, maybe the asymmetrical, setting more when I set it up this way, while I preferred a different setting when using it as a transparent overdrive.

This gets you a midrange-focused overdrive that works particularly nicely for leads. It kinda has a 'd-style' (dumble) sound rather than the bite and compression of a Tube Screamer. This is pretty much the opposite setting people like to use with the Timmy, but it shows how versatile the pedal really is.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Jkendrick

Yeah that's pretty much what I did. As I said, I haven't plugged in in years and just forgot about the roll-off nature of the dials. I play a THD amp that I have set up as a sort of hybrid Marshall/Fender. I, too, like the more compressed sound, although that seems rare as you look through various gear forums. Most people seem to prefer the uncompressed.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT