Fluff's travels tabs

Started by Fluffhoofd, February 05, 2014, 09:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluffhoofd

Hey guys,

I'm new here and the reason to register here is because i recently made the tabs for Fluff's travels in Guitar Pro. I really like the amount of phish tabs available on this but i think my tabs would be a nice addition since the current 'travels tab is incomplete. My tabs also feature bass and drums. And piano transcription for The Chase.

So here's a link to a zip file containing a guitar pro file and some pdf's:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3cl27cbsh2cejv7/travels.zip

Excuse my English and greetings from The Netherlands  :D

Jkendrick

Very cool. I've learned this tune all the way through twice over the years but it always fades from memory after a while. I can already see some improvements over my, admittedly half-assed, transcription. One thing I noticed is at the very end (Arrival) you have the last chord listed as a C, but have the correct notes for D. I may have to relearn this one. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Lephty

Wow...thanks!  At some point I transcribed all 3 parts for The Chase, and I made a midi file out of it.  If I can track it down I will post it.  Of course, it does beg the question of how much work one would want to put into learning every note of this song.

Fluffhoofd

Quote from: Jkendrick on February 05, 2014, 10:40:40 AM
One thing I noticed is at the very end (Arrival) you have the last chord listed as a C, but have the correct notes for D.

That has to be a D indeed. Little mistake haha (but that isn't the hardest part of the whole thing)

Jkendrick

Yeah, as I said it was just something I noticed upon first glance. I've been relearning The Chase since you posted this and I use some different fingerings. I've been revising as I go so I'll post my revised version when I'm done. So far I haven't noticed any mistakes. I just prefer different positions in some cases.

Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Jkendrick

Thanks Fluffhoofd for this. I pieced together this recording with his MIDI backing tracks. It really made me much more disciplined about the timing. Now to practice practice practice to get it so I can play it straight through.

https://soundcloud.com/jim-kendrick/fluffhead-1

Hoody

Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to learn this all the way through?  You did an excellent job, obviously.  I just find learning these more orchestrated pieces takes forever, and are extremely difficult to put together with a band. 

I enjoy learning things like Fluff's travels, stash, etc., just because they are so challenging.  And it really makes you appreciate the music and how challenging those pieces are, how good phish is, and how special the song writing is.  I'm not sure of many other bands that can write, and execute, songs this complex as well as Phish does.

Jkendrick

Well that's sort of a tough question. As I said earlier, I have learned Fluffhead all the way through twice before and a lot of it came back to me pretty quickly. It took me roughly two weeks working on it an hour or two per day to get this recorded. But I still have a lot of practicing to do to be able to play it straight through well. I like learning these more complex composed tunes. I've done Stash and Divided Sky as well. I've also done Zappa's Inca Roads and Echidna's Arf. I don't play in a band so this is just for my own fun.

Hoody

That's great, you played it very well.  I agree, I find learning these longer more difficult pieces much more gratifying.  They're very tough to get the timing down on properly, but they're fun.

I haven't learned much Zappa, but in my few attempts I've noticed the similarities w/ what Trey did w/ a lot of Phish's longer pieces.  A lot more similarities than I'd noticed just listening to the music.  Something about trying to learn the music that really makes you understand and appreciate it a LOT more.

I do find though that it takes me forever to learn something like Stash or Fluff's travels.  So find it hard to justify the time b/c its not really something I can take to the band or that we can play out.  But its something I enjoy if i can find the time.  Keep up the good work, sounds great.  Would love to hear your stash too if you feel like posting it.