Pedalboard/Rig show and tell

Started by Buffered, March 27, 2014, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffered

Hey everyone! I'm always interested in talking about rigs/setups and I'm particularly interested in what you guys use to get your Phishy or original tones vs the flubs over on TGP. I only have a picture of my board on hand, but I'll discuss my rig as well a little. Feel free to ask questions!

So my guitar's are a Gibson ES339 & LP Studio w/ WCR Fillmores and a heavily modded PRS SE semi hollow

The two Gibsons are my favorite guitars, got the LP from my Dad when I was a lad and stuck the Fillmores in there about 4 years ago and although the buckers overdrive an amp easier than before, it's a great rock guitar and specifically for Duane Allman esque tones. The ES339 was a partial gift from Gibson while I was in the hospital for awhile a few years ago, and it's a magnificant guitar. Not a hollowbody, but it's great for jazz/funk and Sco tones are easy to get out of her when I pick by the bridge. The PRS SE I picked up off cheap off ebay for a party guitar/daily player and it does a great job at that. When we play at not sketchy but not "bring your nice sentimental guitars" the PRS shines. I installed a SD JB/Jazz combo and originally installed (2) 2 way switches but a few weeks ago I opted to put in two 3 way switches for series - single - parallel options for each pickup, giving me a shitload more options to flip through. I also added a graphite nut and pigtail wraparound - had my friend notch the saddles.

So my signal comes from the guitar and hits a Turbo Tuner, nice and fast and very accurate. Took a bit getting used to strobe again but it's fine, and I really like it for setups intonation is perfect. Then it goes to a Foxrox Aquavibe I picked up last week. I've been through a few different vibes, and I must say the Aquavibe is the most versatile and easy to use (not two words that go together often) with the width and center knob affecting how fat the vibe waveform is, as well as what frequencies it affects. I'm still tweaking it though. After that it goes to the amp. In my amps' parallel effects loop I keep my analogman ARDx20 w/ amaze0, this delay is almost identical to the japanese analog delays and Mike makes this Amaze0 box that acts as a tap tempo controller and preset rememberer, I like this delay a lot but I honestly only use two-three settings and I'll have to dig into the preset option so I can save some weird modulated stuff.

Amps - Replaced my pedalboard dirt for amp dirt. I picked up a Fuchs ODS mod built into a hot rod deluxe, but it's a pretty stellar amp. After trying a zendrive two years ago I've been on a D*mble search and this thing is one of the best for that tone. 50 watts, 6L6 with a built in dumbleator (fx loop interface for both series and parallel) It's got a Preamp boost (bypasses tonestack) as well that's footswitchable so I can get a solo/gain boost on either the clean or when the OD is cascading in.

I also picked up a Mesa 5:25+ head a few weeks ago and so far I like it a lot, especially at home. The 5 watts is great for recording or late practice, and there's more than enough gain on tap for what I do. I've AB'ed them extensively and have the Mesa dialed in pretty close to the Fuchs, albeit there are definitely some differences - the graphic EQ is really powerful, and it helps round out the lows especially. I have it set as a preamp boost similar to the Fuchs now for solos. It's a fun amp but I've only scratched the surface as to what this thing can do...

Speaker-wise, I have an EVM12L OEM as well as a Emi RW&B. They get interchanged, but the RW&B is in the Fuchs cab so that get to go to the gig more often. They sound pretty similar to my ear, although I wouldn't mind finding a EVM12L like speaker that would fit into my Fuchs for the sake of consistency.

Thanks for reading!
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Buffered

New Update:

Added Superdelay, it has 8 presets so I dedicate 4 to each of my amps (they have different effects loops) So far I'm digging it! I was looking at a Timeline but I would never use all the presets and I only use 2-3 different Types of delays. I may get a Dual Expression to control both the VMSD and Aquavibe.

Anyone wanna share their rigs? Love seeing what everyone's using over on TGP but it's mostly Teles, DR. Z's, and Timelines...
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Jkendrick

I'll play. I just learned last night that I need to move the Phase 45 in front of the OD. I just got it but had always thought it was supposed to be at the end of the chain like delay so never even tried it any other way. The Tim is used as an always on tone shaper. As such it could easily be a Timmy as I never use the other side of it, or the boost of the FD2 for that matter. Putting new pickups in my guitar has really changed how my rig reacts. As such, I'm in the market for a new amp and think some board changes could follow.

RMC3》Keeley Comp》FD2》TS9 (Keeley modded)》Tim》Phase 45》DD3》Volume
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on May 22, 2014, 09:31:41 AM
I'll play. I just learned last night that I need to move the Phase 45 in front of the OD. I just got it but had always thought it was supposed to be at the end of the chain like delay so never even tried it any other way. The Tim is used as an always on tone shaper. As such it could easily be a Timmy as I never use the other side of it, or the boost of the FD2 for that matter. Putting new pickups in my guitar has really changed how my rig reacts. As such, I'm in the market for a new amp and think some board changes could follow.

RMC3》Keeley Comp》FD2》TS9 (Keeley modded)》Tim》Phase 45》DD3》Volume

Nice rig! Compact and neat.

Do you like your Keeley before dirt too? Have you tried it after?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Those older FDII's are sweeet. What kind of pickups did you get? Have you considered an EQ pedal instead of the Timmy? Mesa just came out with a GEQ in pedal form. FWIW I always liked modulation before dirt.

Jkendrick

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on May 22, 2014, 10:43:26 AM

Do you like your Keeley before dirt too? Have you tried it after?

I do and I have.

Quote from: Buffered on May 22, 2014, 11:30:04 AM
Those older FDII's are sweeet. What kind of pickups did you get? Have you considered an EQ pedal instead of the Timmy? Mesa just came out with a GEQ in pedal form. FWIW I always liked modulation before dirt.

I got SD 59s. With the old pickups I had the Tim in the FD2 spot and the Fulldrive was in the bullpen. I have considered getting rid of the Tim for an eq, but I want to wait to see what happens with a new amp. The pickups are brand new and, as I said,  it changed things quite a bit. I ended up ditching my Univalve to try my Blues Jr when the Uni was just too harsh. But that didn't work and I went back to the Uni with all different tubes and the Tim as a makeshift eq. It's better but I think I still want a new amp.
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Jkendrick

I switched the Phase 45 to right after the RMC3. Sounds much better. It could be my imagination but I think the whole rig sounds better even when the Phase 45 isn't on. Another switch I tried was to turn off the comp cut on the FD2 and lose the Keeley compressor. I didn't have time to try it,  but would there potentially be any benefit to moving the Keeley to after the OD in a configuration like that? I always kind of thought the Keeley added the comp that the comp cut on the FD2 took away. If you follow. So no need for both.

Buffered

Quote from: Jkendrick on May 22, 2014, 06:02:53 PM
I switched the Phase 45 to right after the RMC3. Sounds much better. It could be my imagination but I think the whole rig sounds better even when the Phase 45 isn't on. Another switch I tried was to turn off the comp cut on the FD2 and lose the Keeley compressor. I didn't have time to try it,  but would there potentially be any benefit to moving the Keeley to after the OD in a configuration like that? I always kind of thought the Keeley added the comp that the comp cut on the FD2 took away. If you follow. So no need for both.

If Im not mistaken the Phase 45 is buffered. Not sure about the comp cut however, essentially a FDII is a SD-1 boutique clone so that pedal with a comp afterwards would yield a smoother and possibly darker OD tone.

Jkendrick

I don't think the Phase 45 is buffered but I certainly could be wrong. I am curious about buffered pedals and their placement though. I think (but correct me if I'm wrong) the only buffered pedal I have is the DD3. But with it last in the chain, is it helping much? Should I have a buffer earlier in the chain? And if so, should it be first, after the RMC3,  or someplace else?

Also does anyone have experience with the Black Box ( http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/sgbb.html) ? It's expensive but sounds like a great tool.

Heady Jam Fan

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=763151
I don't use a buffer before mine, but it is an original/vintage from 1974 (its a Phase 90).

The DD3 buffer is fine I think. IIRC the complaint about the DD3 is that it colors the dry signal a bit - some like it, some don't.

I do have experience with a Black Box. I had the older version without the variable Z.  Its huge, expensive and power hungry IIRC. It sounded great particularly for cleans. I'm not sure I noticed the tubey harmonics or feel once I added overdrive to the mix. IMO, you wouldn't hear the difference between the SBB and a tiny $30 buffer on a recording unless you had some pretty nice recording gear. But if it sounds great to you, it might still be worth it.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Jkendrick

I actually know the guitar tech for a fairly successful band (you've heard of them) and he swears by them. Next time I see him, I'm going to pick his brain. It's definitely overkill for my uses right now.  I just go through these phases of being really interested in this stuff.

Buffered

Re:
Quote from: Jkendrick on May 23, 2014, 12:09:07 AM
I don't think the Phase 45 is buffered but I certainly could be wrong. I am curious about buffered pedals and their placement though. I think (but correct me if I'm wrong) the only buffered pedal I have is the DD3. But with it last in the chain, is it helping much? Should I have a buffer earlier in the chain? And if so, should it be first, after the RMC3,  or someplace else?

Also does anyone have experience with the Black Box ( http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/products/sgbb.html) ? It's expensive but sounds like a great tool.

Personally, I think Buffers are good before and after a "board" (majority of effects) IE the DD3 is fine where it is (delays should be at the end of the chain anyways.) However, I see you're using a tuner that doesn't provide a mute and I remember using one on a board and it was hard as hell to see (IMHO of course) I think you'd benefit greatly from a TU3 as it's got a great buffer in it/a tank and would buffer the front end of your rig.

The flip side is pedals you like a lot of picking dynamics with might interfere or not like said buffer, so it's tough IE Overdrive and vibe pedals. I would do RMC3 -> buffered pedal. I've used buffers in front of a vibe that had a "ghosting" issue, (still hear the speed when it was in bypass) and it solved the problem, and I've also used buffers in front of overdrives with no noticeable change, once again YMMV though.

BTW is your phase 45 a script reissue, a 75 vintage reissue, a cs version, or an original?

75 reissues and a lot of Dunlop/MXR current productions are hardwire bypass. copy and paster of best explanation I could find.

hardwire bypass the effect circuitry's input impedances and circuit resistance are loading the guitar even in bypass. This is the classic kind of scheme that often resulted in tone suck and for which true bypass and buffered bypass were designed as solutions. With true bypass the signal is not loaded by any part of the effect's circuitry in bypass, just the input/output jacks, the switch and some wire. 

Now, a 3dpt switch can be installed to make it true bypass. Never done it on that type of effect, or taken it apart to see what type of work is involved. If it sounds good to you just use it!

As far as buffer types go, I've used the CMATmods mini buffer and the Empress offerings. The Buffer + from Empress is a swiss army knife for your board (dB boost, pickup loading, noise gateish thing), and their effects are built very well! The regular version (owned that also) sounds great, but it's about the size of a MXR pedal. Jacks are positioned weird but they buffer BOTH the start and end of your board.

Boss pedals have great buffers too, hence the TU3 suggestion. The CMAT is cheaper, in your situation I would suggest the CMATmods as well as it's very tiny and runs off a PP2 outlet (neither have battery clips) about 1" x 1" little cube that I zip tied under my board when I had one.

This is a great video about buffers, but spending too much time thinking about it tends to get in the way of playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oQpr8qrwQI

Buffers basically take the signal they're seeing and replicate it, true bypass just lets the signal pass through without altering it or duplicating it basically. If you think your rig will benefit from that, it's worth considering an additional buffer besides the DD3.

Also depends on how many effects you use. I only run a board of 3 pedals so I don't need one because the overall cable length is less than 30' or so.

If you have an always on pedal, that'll do the same thing. Maybe try moving the Tim closer to your guitar's signal?

Is your DD3 before or after the volume pedal? Maybe try it before, as EB's are known for "tone suck."

Jkendrick

Yeah the tuner is a POS and I've been meaning to replace it. It's just not as "fun" of a purchase so I've been putting it off.

The 45 is the 75 ri.

The DD3 is before the volume.

Thanks for the insights. I should just get annew tuner since I need one anyway and see what happens.

Heady Jam Fan

If your using a dirt>comp, or any single pedal on, your signal is essentially 'buffered' anyway.

Aside from buffers, I like the ideas of VP before delay because it lets the delay repeats ring out naturally as you adjust the volume. For example, if you hit the last note of a solo, you might want the delay repeats to ring out even if you turn down your volume. I always wish my TB Loop Switcher allowed the repeats of my delay to pass through even when I turn off that loop, but that would require a much more complex loop switcher that wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Jkendrick

$70 for a used Tu3. Fair price?