best humbucker for my strat?

Started by fluffytone72, June 09, 2014, 03:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluffytone72

Hey guys,

So I'm going to be buying a new humbucker for my 60th anniversary strat (with Warmouth pro neck).  Currently I have stock singles in the neck and middle and a JB Jr. in the bridge.  My band is getting ready to do a bunch of shows in the next few months so I want my tone to be in top form (we are a jamband so obviously guitar tone is critical to the show!) Anyhow, the JB jr. is ok, but I'm looking for something more fullbodied and warm, that distorts smoothly but still has a little punch to it.  So far, I've been looking into the Seymour Duncan Custom Custom, Porter Classic, Seymour Duncan 59, and Lollar Imperial F style humbucker.  All seem like good contenders, but I'm interested in what you guys think?  Any recommendations/thoughts?  My signal chain is as follows: guitar>sarno steel guitar black box>polytune>wilson wah>proton envelope filter>analogman comprossor>earthquake devices univibe>ts9 silver>analogman king of tone>custom built klone>tc electronic X4 delay>fender twin reverb 65 reissue (1x12 stock jenson, 1x12 eminence cannabis rex).

Here's a couple youtube videos that give you a taste of where my tone is at the moment (excuse the sloppy guitar playing, this is not my best work but I did feel that my tone was decent at this show), also note the bouncing around the room tease from our other guitar player in the MLB jam  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLfhWLj8ycE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuNk_AL8r50

Buffered

My first suggestion would be for the SD '59s. Jimmy Herring has these in his strats and I think he has pretty good tone! What type of wiring are you thinking of going with? HH or HSH configuration? I have a JB/Jazz setup in my SE and they're great coil tapped toneage, but YMMV. The JB is very rockin'
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Jkendrick

I just put SD 59s in my '89 PRS Custom.  It's obviously not a Strat but I love them.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Down_With_Sco

I thought Herring uses Lollar Imperials?
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Buffered

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on June 09, 2014, 01:22:16 PM
I thought Herring uses Lollar Imperials?

I think he has those in his Telecasters, but the Fenders made by Gene Baker have the SD '59s. Good call though!
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

fluffytone72

Here he says he has lollar imperials in one of his strats which is one of the reason's I was considering them. I know he also has 59's in another one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkoPZY_fD0c

fluffytone72

Quote from: Buffered on June 09, 2014, 08:43:31 AM
My first suggestion would be for the SD '59s. Jimmy Herring has these in his strats and I think he has pretty good tone! What type of wiring are you thinking of going with? HH or HSH configuration? I have a JB/Jazz setup in my SE and they're great coil tapped toneage, but YMMV. The JB is very rockin'

I'm thinking of going HSS, keeping the stock singles in neck and middle, then getting a nice humbucker for bridge.  I've heard most people who have gone HSH or HH on a strat have not been happy with the tone and have since switched to HSS, Jimmy Herring being the exception, but I do not believe he is of this earth so I guess I should say "human beings" seem to not like this setup,  I see myself having the bridge bucker on 99% of the time and just using volume and tone controls for different sounds, then either coil tapping or switching to neck for a single coil sound every once in a blue moon.

Buffered

Quote from: fluffytone72 on June 09, 2014, 04:52:30 PM
Quote from: Buffered on June 09, 2014, 08:43:31 AM

I'm thinking of going HSS, keeping the stock singles in neck and middle, then getting a nice humbucker for bridge.  I've heard most people who have gone HSH or HH on a strat have not been happy with the tone and have since switched to HSS, Jimmy Herring being the exception, but I do not believe he is of this earth so I guess I should say "human beings" seem to not like this setup,  I see myself having the bridge bucker on 99% of the time and just using volume and tone controls for different sounds, then either coil tapping or switching to neck for a single coil sound every once in a blue moon.

Well the cool thing with going HSS is that you can get a few different types of Humbuckers and just get alligator clips to try them out and see what you like best and ebay the rest. SD has a return policy I think... What type of tones are you looking for? I put WCR Fillmores in my LP and I get great Duane tone, for example. Sorry if you already explained that.

fluffytone72

Well the cool thing with going HSS is that you can get a few different types of Humbuckers and just get alligator clips to try them out and see what you like best and ebay the rest. SD has a return policy I think... What type of tones are you looking for? I put WCR Fillmores in my LP and I get great Duane tone, for example. Sorry if you already explained that.
[/quote]

Yeah,unfortunately I don't even have the money to front that.haha.being in college and what not.  I'm looking for a smoother tone, but still with a little bite.  Nice and thick and juicy.  Really leaning towards the 59 right now.

dontpanic

Whats up guys. Long time lurker first time poster here. I have been meaning to put up my rig as my intro piece, but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. With that said, this is a hot topic for me, as I was skeptical about pickup selection for my strat. I have to give my praise to the SD '59. It rocks. At first, it kind of threw me off with sort of a metallic tone, which still sounded very smooth, if that makes any sense. But, with a little time, it has warmed up beautifully and really nails the punch I was looking for. Ironically, lately I have been gliding through middle only and neck only... feeling the Kimock vibes...

fluffytone72

Quote from: dontpanic on June 09, 2014, 07:21:43 PM
Whats up guys. Long time lurker first time poster here. I have been meaning to put up my rig as my intro piece, but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. With that said, this is a hot topic for me, as I was skeptical about pickup selection for my strat. I have to give my praise to the SD '59. It rocks. At first, it kind of threw me off with sort of a metallic tone, which still sounded very smooth, if that makes any sense. But, with a little time, it has warmed up beautifully and really nails the punch I was looking for. Ironically, lately I have been gliding through middle only and neck only... feeling the Kimock vibes...
Yeah seems like everyone raves about the 59', right now it's between that and the porter "smooth" pickup.  talked to the guy who runs the operation at porter electronics today and he said it's the smoothest humbucker out there... I saw The Werks a few weeks ago and fell in love with that guitar player's tone, I'd want a little more punch then what he has, but if you haven't heard him play youtube the werks and listen to something..smooth as butter guitar tone  ;D

express50express

I would try the Seymour Duncan Little 59. I have one of these in my strats and it is great. I also have it wired for both single coil and humbucker. It is not expensive either, and sounded better than I expected. I would start with something like this first.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/medium-output/little_59_for_s/

Heady Jam Fan

My experience has been that all of these "PAF" style pickups sound pretty similar. My Lollar Imperials sound a whole lot like 59's and Schaller Golden 50's, but they sound a bit more balanced when switching from neck to bridge, or bucker to single. Is that type of refinement worth the extra cash? Up to you... as far as tone, SD 59's will get you there IMO.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 10, 2014, 05:16:02 PM
My experience has been that all of these "PAF" style pickups sound pretty similar. My Lollar Imperials sound a whole lot like 59's and Schaller Golden 50's, but they sound a bit more balanced when switching from neck to bridge, or bucker to single. Is that type of refinement worth the extra cash? Up to you... as far as tone, SD 59's will get you there IMO.

Fluffy, maybe some folks have experience with single tone of 59s? I think a good chunk of the balance has to do with how high the pickups are in relation to each other.

dontpanic

I agree that they are similar in sound, with tiny nuances of tone variety. I plan on getting a mexi strat soon to experiment with. Maybe some lollars. But, still, the 59 is a great pickup for your guitar. Plus Trey plays em