Main Menu

ts9 silver mod

Started by Helping Friendly, September 03, 2014, 10:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helping Friendly

Hey my peeps. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have an AM silver mod ts9 and was wondering which actual components he switched out to do the mod. The reason I ask is because I would like to further the mod even more and cut more mid hump. I would like to scoop the mids just a tad more. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Buffered

Quote from: Helping Friendly on September 03, 2014, 10:28:29 AM
Hey my peeps. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have an AM silver mod ts9 and was wondering which actual components he switched out to do the mod. The reason I ask is because I would like to further the mod even more and cut more mid hump. I would like to scoop the mids just a tad more. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I believe that information is private.. If you look at a stock TS9 board and your Silver board, maybe you can ID the differences and take the component values a step lower? I'd mod the stock first though. I hope that helps.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Down_With_Sco

Best luck is to email Mike Piera.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Heady Jam Fan

I'd personally start with a fresh pedal. Modding the Silver will decrease its value - if you plan on figuring out what the mods consist of, you might as well do them yourself ;). On that note, does it have something to do with silver wiring or solder or something like that?

The Prince of Ton is a bit different, but that or other similar 'boutique' pedals might get you want you want. Having said that, I'm not sure why you'd want to take the mids out of a TS. At home, more bass sounds better to a lot of people, but with a band a TS is perfect.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Jkendrick

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on September 03, 2014, 02:56:21 PMI'm not sure why you'd want to take the mids out of a TS. At home, more bass sounds better to a lot of people, but with a band a TS is perfect.
I was going to say the same thing. A mid-scooped TS is no longer a TS. Might as well find a pedal with a base tone more to your liking and mod that.

1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Helping Friendly

I totally hear what you guys are saying.  I'm not that unhappy with the pedals mid range I just want a little more transparency on the low gain ts9. When I talk about swapping the value I'm talking super minute like 0.1uf vs 0.12uf. Just a touch. I would not touch my high gain ts9 for I like the mid range hump when full screaming. I would like to keep my low & high gain od' s the same curcuit. And that's tube screamer all the way! My boogie is already mid heavy and I love it!

Happyorange27

Crazy idea. Put that ts9 in a bypass loop with an eq pedal and adjust in real time till you get how you like it. One and done!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Jkendrick

Quote from: Happyorange27 on September 03, 2014, 08:29:58 PM
Crazy idea. Put that ts9 in a bypass loop with an eq pedal and adjust in real time till you get how you like it. One and done!
I did that with my Keeley TS9 with the Tim for a while.
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Helping Friendly

Quote from: Jkendrick on September 03, 2014, 09:11:36 PM
I'm actually doing that now. With boss pq4.  It works like a charm. My friend at work wants to buy the boss pedal so I was hoping to achieve the scoop without the pedal but looks like I will hold on to it (for now at least)

Jkendrick

This is off topic a bit, but I seem to recall someone here looking for a classic TS mid-hump in a clean boost. I just discovered the VFE Focus, which sounds like it would be just that. Anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.vfepedals.com/focus.html

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on September 07, 2014, 07:40:36 PM
Quote from: Jkendrick on September 03, 2014, 09:11:36 PM
I'm actually doing that now. With boss pq4.  It works like a charm. My friend at work wants to buy the boss pedal so I was hoping to achieve the scoop without the pedal but looks like I will hold on to it (for now at least)

As much as I love Ibanez, including the Ibanez EQ pedals I have / have had, the PQ4 has something special. It has some really musical artifacts to my ear. I'm not surprised people want to buy it. Even if you stop using it to shape your dirt pedals, consider keeping it as a boost.

I just bought a TS5 from Guitar Center for $20. I'm planning on doing a couple mods, maybe more if necessary. I probably won't change the tone.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9