Blackface DR speaker

Started by Hoody, December 30, 2014, 04:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoody

Hi - I'm looking to replace a speaker in a blackface DR.  Any recommendations?

I'm considering a V30, a weber blue dog, and a celestion gold.  But I don't know a ton about speakers so I'm open to other suggestions.

Also - does anyone have any better info on what mods trey made to his dr?  The description on this site sounds off, and I've also seen conflicting info.

Thanks

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Hoody on December 30, 2014, 04:42:52 PM
Hi - I'm looking to replace a speaker in a blackface DR.  Any recommendations?

I'm considering a V30, a weber blue dog, and a celestion gold.  But I don't know a ton about speakers so I'm open to other suggestions.

Also - does anyone have any better info on what mods trey made to his dr?  The description on this site sounds off, and I've also seen conflicting info.

Thanks

I've used all those speakers and I think they are great options. Can't go wrong with any of them. I'm using a Badcat Unleash with my DR, so I'm limited to speakers that can handle 100 watts. This counts the V30 out of the picture for me. I had a 100w Blue Dog with Hemp and Pre Rola Doping. Loved the speaker, but it was a little too dark with those specs. I love hemp, so I'd probably get it without dope if I got another Weber. However, you could do with a 30 or 50 watt version and it might not be too dark even with hemp and dope. I had a 50w ceramic with a paper cone that was brighter than my Emi Red Fang, Golds I've compared it to and my WGS Blackhawk. So the Weber depends on the specs. It has less bass than the other speakers, probably because of the 40oz magnet (the V30 has a 50oz mag). Its also the quietest; the V30 and Gold are rated 100db while the Blue Dog is probably about 97db. However, Weber can add a neodymium booster magnet if you want more volume.

I opted out of alnico speakers for a few reasons. I think ceramic is punchier, it is a bit more consistent at various volumes, it won't demagnetize, and it costs less. I also prefer hemp to paper cones and its hard to fine a hemp alnico speaker. The Gold is great though if you can afford it. The Red Fang is the cheapest alnico clone, but sometimes used Weber's can be found at a reasonable price. The WGS Blackhawk sounded awesome; a little dark, but still cut through, yet it was a bit too quiet to pair with a Celestion in a 212 cab.

Right now, I'm using Steamboat Hemp 100's in both my DR and Mesa MKIII. Its a Tone Tubby (A Brown Soun) hemp cone in an old Celestion G12-80 frame. I think they are keepers, and a great price on Reverb.com. Its got a British flavor without being fatiguing the way a V30 can be. They are as loud as a V30 or Gold, bright enough but still smooth. It also doesn't "ping" or "chirp" the way a CL80 can (which is the speaker that replaced the old G12-80, the Mesa C90 is also related).

Having done a lot of mods on my DR, I wouldn't really suggest doing to much if it is already in Blackface specs aside from making sure all the components are working, particularly the electrolytic capacitors (which I replaced throughout my amp). Mine is Blackface specs except I pulled V1 and I just used the reverb channel, I 'plugged' the vibrato pedal jack so I just use the intensity knob to turn it on or off, and I snipped the bright cap (I think those are all the mods I did). I really like a 12AY7 in V2 - try to find a GE with Blackplates. I have NOS tubes in V3, V4 and V6 as well. In V5, I have a solid state tube replacement made by AMT since it doesn't have any effect on tone (just for vibrato oscillation). I like JJ power tubes, though I've heard good things about the Tung-Sol reissues.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Hoody

Trey plays original and 2d languedocs.  Hasn't done that in 20 years.  And never played the 2d as much as he did tonight.  With original boogie mark 3's and cabs.  Rare set up for him these days.