Alnico Blue in one of Treys Deluxe Reverbs...

Started by GDCSH-1, August 11, 2008, 11:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDCSH-1

Saw trey play last night in liberty state park, jersey city, hes back full force, blew my mind, their was like no one their, i walked right up to the stage right infront towards the right of the stage closest ive ever been, like 15 yrds away, but anyway i was very close to his keyboard player forgot his name, guy with the beard, but one of treys deluxe reverbs which clearly said "TREY ANASTASIO" on white laminate tape stuck on the back of the amp, was positioned sideways next to the keyboard player facing him, the amp was sitting on top of its road case which had "PHISH" stenciled on the case, the amp was miked and the tubes were hot, not sure if the keyboard player was using it, but i could clearly see right in the back of the amp, and what do i see, an Alnico Blue, the gold label was missing from the back of the speaker magnet but im sure its a celestion. Just a little proof for the people wondering what speakers he could be playing, i just stuck a blue in my DR a couple of months ago, so it makes me feel better to see it in person.
But for the show itself, he played an hour set, not long enough!! you can prob find the setlist online but for phish tunes he brought out gotta jibboo which was like 15 min long, the jam was absolutely amazing, and he finished the set with heavythings. He sounds great, a ton of energy, he was just lettin loose, great to see, especially that close! oh yea he came out with jack johnson later, and featued in "mudd football" one of jacks songs, trey took that song to a new dimension as he usually does, Rock on Trey!!     
"Make Your Move To Improve Your Groove" -Magic Hat cap

strangedesign

All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

cactuskeeb

That's not a celestion, it's a late '50s Jensen P12N.  It may be that the alnico magnet was replaced with a more celestion-y looking one, or merely an older jensen alnico magnet; however, it is clearly just a vintage P12N spray-painted blue.

P12N's:

Edit: Maybe it's a tone tubby... :-\

strangedesign

is the internal speaker even connected? I only see one cable and that is probably to the Bruno cab.

www.strangedesign.org

Stiles12

its connected, why else would he surround his DR with mics
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

strangedesign

I don't think I have ever seen any mics on the DR; just the bruno cab. I'm probably wrong but even the pic on his site shows mics only on the bruno. http://www.trey.com/treysrig/

www.strangedesign.org

cactuskeeb

i think this might be treys backup DR acting as a keyboard amplifier.  I forget which part of Page's rig it was, but one of his keyboards or pianos or whatever went through a DR that sat behind him on the stage.  I recall reading somewhere about many keys players playing their organs or whatever through a Deluxe Reverb.  Yeah, I'm sure it's the organ that needs amplification of this type.  It's the same concept of Hammond-->122 Leslie.  I'm sorry if this observation was already obvious to everyone, I just thought I'd post it anyway.

Regarding Strange's question about the speaker plug, this blue speaker is definitely connected to the speaker-out on the amp. 

GDCSH-1

Good pic, thats the exact angle I saw it at but a little further away, now clearly seeing it closer i agree, not a celestion blue, but the magnet cover or magnet looks exact to a celestion blue without the gold label, the frame to the speaker cone is clearly not the same as a celestion blue, interesting...could it be an original vintage blue ? why would they take the time to spray paint another speaker blue? lol.. maybe to trick people like me....
"Make Your Move To Improve Your Groove" -Magic Hat cap

Stiles12

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/SuperSpacePhunk/PHiSH-Miami03-BubbleLights.jpg

In the bottom right you can see the DR mic'd from Page's rig... I always thought this was either treys back-up amp or another amp of trey's they were using to get a large stereo sound. i guess it makes sense that it would be Page's

here's another:

http://www.phishpics.net/coppermine1/displayimage.php?pid=613&fullsize=1

effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Stiles12

by the way i have been talking to Ken Volpe, the guy who makes trey's bruno cabs and he said:

"In terms of his cabs. One of his 2x12 cabs loaded with Celestion Heritage 65s is amazing and versatile.
It has low end punch and sweet highs. It can be used for just about any amp.
The price is $1079
As you know, Trey's rig is very complex.
His Bruno mini 4x12 loaded with Celestion Blues has been a big part of that sound.
Not as punchy in the low end, which is better for 6V6 based amp.
The price is $1859."

could those blue speakers be celestion heritage 65's?
SPL Transducer

strangedesign

www.strangedesign.org

cactuskeeb

Walker done done

I don't think it's a P12N or a Tone Tubby.  Though I do realize this post is quite worthless because I can't offer any other suggestions as to what it might be, but unless the magnet was replaced, it's neither of those 2 speakers.  And while we're at it, it also doesn't possess the characteristics of a Celestion Blue, either.  And so the search continues.....
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.