Ibanez MC150 (An older Trey guitar)

Started by raisingfreen, January 13, 2009, 08:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisingfreen

Just curious if anyone else has one of these or has played one. I gave Walker a book that had a BW picture of Trey playing one in a hotel room that was pearl white. I recently ran across one and I passed it up, to my surprise the wife handed it too me on Xmas evening. It's the Red version of the one Trey is playing in the old picture. If it makes me a tool to have one (because Trey used it at one point) then so be it. I love it, (I think I accidentally mentioned to my wife that I would never buy another guitar because I love it so much, whoops, I may want a few more variations of those things, maybe the MC500 with all the gizmos). It has something called duo-sound on the tone controls that turns the humbuckers into single coils. Anywhoo, if you guys ever see one, give it a try. The whole line of those Ibanez Musicians from the really early 80s look amazing, some are more Jerry like. In fact I think they even had a Bob Weir model at one point. Also if you can find one the prices are very reasonable. Mine was $325 (A few scratches etc). I have spent much, much more on guitars that did not even come close to the tone of this one. Cheers.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

cactuskeeb

The fact that you have something Trey has/had hardly makes you a tool.  The proximity of mine and Strange's rigs to Trey's would make us the biggest tools ever, if what you suggested were true.  And frankly, I don't consider myself a tool in that respect, just an extremely discerning gearhead.  Sorry, I have no comment on the guitar, just that I heard those old ibanez's were really nice; especially the artist series--that is, if you get a good one.

Poster

neato, the look like a cheaper version of Jerry's Wolf. I dig it.

raisingfreen

Your right it does sorta look like a cheap wolf guitar, hadn't thought of that.

And to the other reply about being discerning gearheads, what an understatement. From the stuff I see on this forum  it appears any number of you guys could be Trey's tech, and good ones at that.

I have just recently been getting back into really playing and looking at gear and all. It's all coming back to me as to why I too a break. It can be overwhelming at times chasing this tone or that, (but what a fun journey, so to speak) too the point that I feel I need a little bit of therapy! You guys ever feel that way?

If there is a post where everyone has pics of their guitars I would love too see that. I may have just overlooked the specific location.

Poster

You should see my rig today. Youd probably blow a load in your pants. I have officially achieved EPIC tone with all one of a kind gear. Priceless  ;D

strangedesign

you don't want to see my guitar. It's the cheapest thing in my rig. It needs upgrading bad. It's a 1999 Ibanez Artstar. I need to take it in and have some work done to it. I'm pretty sure it needs new tuners right now. I can't even get it to stay in tune for an entire song anymore. That reminds me, what tuners wold you guys recommend I replace mine with? I was looking at the Grover locking rotomatics.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

raisingfreen

Hey poster,
Can you post any pic of your rig? I think the users on here would want to see your rig. In fact you should start the thread. That way we all can follow up with load blowing shots of our own. (Or not)

Mine would be the smallest or of the bunch I think. (the rig that is)

Poster

Yeah Ive been so busy lately that I havent been updated my rig pics much. I do have a thread full of pics in the my rig section, but its most certainly outdated. My boomerang is in route to me, after having the mods done, and my whammy 2 is off at custom audio electronics being modded with (as always, one of a kind) metal jacks, new more rugged boutique wire, disabling the input gain pot, built in true bypass looper, and different color leds. I guess Id been waiting for those bad boys to show up before I posted new pics, but fuck it. Here ya go buddy.

The strat is loaded with NOS 70's mini humbuckers harvested out of a vintage firebird. Its loaded with NOS sprague caps harvested out of an old TV set I found at a garage sale. Ive got graphtec saddles, a graphtec tusk xl nut, and black grover auto locking tuners on there today, with a set of elixir 10s (again picture is a few weeks old, taken for insurance guy). The amp is a handmade Heritage custom tube amp that was built for Mark Knopfler in Nashville (heritage is no longer making amps, again 1 of a kind). Its got 3 triode switches and a master volume pot which I love. I can get absolutely any sound out of this thing. Flip the switch it sounds like a green back marshall with bigger balls, flip another exact matchless chiefton sounds, I use it as it was designed for Mark, set in such a way as to replicate the old brown face fender with bit more oomff. He currently tours with two of these in stereo. He has one backup and I bought the second backup that was made for him. The cabinet is my trusty tone tubby 2x12 cabinet ( I have another 2x12 on the way ) On the floor Iam using my garmopat wah wah->modded Clark overdrive->ross comp clone (with sozo caps, and a line buffer)-> into bypass looper=out to korg strobe tuner<return loop#2 Custom modified deja vibe->psilocybe phaser-> lee jackson mr springgy reverb->cmat mods deeelay x2<return loop#2. I have a seperate pedal board with risers built into it for the boomerang +, clown prostitue super tremolo, and custom whammy 2 which all run off single buffered true bypass looper. Again I dont remember what all is in this picture but that what up... Ill snap a few pics when the new 2x12 cab, rang, and whammy get here with everything setup by my guitar tech for gigging (yes, i hired my own tech :D)

ps. to cactus, yeah I might be buying a languedoc next month. Again for this record, I need the strat sound, when me and my new band go out to promote this record you better believe Ill be sporting my hollowbodies dressed up like a cowboy with a shit grin written all over my face :0) Cheers  boys!

rechemistry

Hey dudes...check out this guitar http://www.ravenwestguitar.com/rgamqu1.html.

I have owned one of these for the past couple of years and couldnt be happier. The price is right for the beauty of the guitar. Its obviously a PRS hollowbody rip-off but what I like better about it (than the PRS) is the neck. I doesnt have the "12th fret" hump that PRSs are known for. It is more like a gibson neck; nice and thin and fast as hell. Check out the specs. Money well worth spent.

Oh, and it sounds f*cking amazing :)