Does a Boss Tu-2 Tuner suck tone from my signal?

Started by JacksonBradwell, January 28, 2009, 12:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacksonBradwell

Hey there everyone Im new to the site and just want to say that Ive got lots of respect for those who post on here as they seem to know there stuff quite well.
Anyways, I have my first question for all the gearheads. I run my guitar into a wah then an mxr dynacomp then two ts9s then a boss digital delay and then into the amp, that's it. I recently just got a TU-2 and I might be crazy but I think when I put it in my chain it takes away from my tone, I talked to one of my buddies and he said that this was common. Is it?  I have been putting it right after the wah and turn it on only when tuning and with nothing on going into it. Is this not a good place for it to go? If the whole thing is damned then would it be possible for me to true bypass the box and avoid this tone change? Thank you to all who take the time to respond.

ColForbin

Hey dude, fret not, I don't think you are crazy.  Unless of course, you're the dude in your avatar pic.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with that particular pedal, but it has been my experience that Boss pedals in general are tone suckers.  I would either run the two boss pedals through a true bypass looper or invest in some pedals of the tuner/delay variety that have true bypass built into them.  The Wah and TS9's can be modded to true bypass as well.  Not sure about the mxr.

Cool?
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

ColForbin

Quote from: posternutbag on January 28, 2009, 10:33:02 AM
Tuner are weird. My brand new Korg Pitchblack claims to be "true bypass" but it found its way into a true bypass looper real quick...

Right.  I've thought about putting my tuner in one of my loop chains, but it also claims to be true bypass, I don't think it affects my tone, however, it might. 
Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

strangedesign

what kind of true bypasses are you guys using these days?
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

ColForbin

I'm using the one from Curtis, poster sent me to him....It's not flashy, not painted, but is a nice working little unit for sure.
Current rig: 

lowspark

does putting it in the tuner jack on an ernie ball volume pedal get rid of this tone loss?  Ive been thinking of getting the boss tu-2 and a volume pedal and was wondering if the volume pedal helps to alleviate some of this tone loss.

Stiles12

My tuner is in my loop as well... I am using a DTR2000 and it definitly takes my tone away...
I am still using the GCX system (audio switcher, and ground control) My set up has changed a lot in the past few months and that system runs my whole rig basically.... all my pedals are racked (two ts9's, a comp, and filter and a black cat that has died) I am still using a rack delay and a rack reverb system, so the GCX runs all of that and is basically the only thing on the floor other than my wah Trio channel switch and VP.
I moved to a more simple set up.. I am playing through a groove tube trio and a VHT 2902 rack amp and just a Seymour Duncan 4x12 cab. takes one second to set up, there are only three wires coming from the back, (one to the cab, a midi to the GCX and the channel switcher) makes it real easy to move and real easy to clean up, while stills sounding better than ever. this and my McInturff just sound amazing I can get a lot of versatility and get a lot of sounds that I love.
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Walker done done

Quote from: lowspark on January 28, 2009, 01:13:53 PM
does putting it in the tuner jack on an ernie ball volume pedal get rid of this tone loss?  Ive been thinking of getting the boss tu-2 and a volume pedal and was wondering if the volume pedal helps to alleviate some of this tone loss.

^^^I wouldn't bother getting a volume pedal, but if you do, I believe it does take it "out of the chain".  Then again.....I could be wrong.  Someone else here may be able to tell you for sure.

As for the TU-2 tuner and the original question, I'd put that thing at the end of your chain.  I have the exact same pedal and although it will suck some tone, my feelings are that it isn't all that bad in the end.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

ColForbin

Quote from: Walker done done on January 28, 2009, 02:16:23 PM

^^^I wouldn't bother getting a volume pedal, but if you do, I believe it does take it "out of the chain".  Then again.....I could be wrong.  Someone else here may be able to tell you for sure.

As for the TU-2 tuner and the original question, I'd put that thing at the end of your chain.  I have the exact same pedal and although it will suck some tone, my feelings are that it isn't all that bad in the end.

Alrighty, quick question for you.  Having your tuner at the end of your chain, do you feel that would in any way affect the accuracy of the tuner?  Or is that a fairly negligible point.
Current rig: 

Stiles12

Yea I think it would.... when I have my tube screamers on they are in front of my tuner and the tune is always slightly off when I tune it up clean, not much, but slightly
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

cactuskeeb

Quote from: posternutbag on January 31, 2009, 02:15:23 PM
in a perfect world you would put the tuner first. even through true bypassed pedals you lose a great deal of signal strength. I just made a passive FET buffer/clean boost and it drives my signal through all of my boutique pedals right into my looper, basically making it like the tuner is the only pedal iam running into, and thus, gives me spot on tuning. iam a tuning nazi. i use lots of diminished and open chord shapes so its a necessity.

all of my touring guitars use graphtech nuts, locking tuners, and graphtech saddles. basically setup for dive bombing but i use no picks or tremolo bar. everything is constantly lubed to ensure less friction with the strings on my instrument.

* I was permanently traumatized by a phish show back a few years in New Orleans. Trey went out of tune and just went on and on and on out (i think it was DWD) and I said right then and there I WILL NEVER BE OUT OF TUNE if i play for people. so I do everything I can to prevent it from happening, even through octave bends etc. If your sober and know your gear it isnt really hard.

Classic.  Quoted for archival posterity.

Walker done done

What in the wide wide world of sports was that garbage? :D
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

strangedesign

my guitar runs into an A/B switch so i can send the signal through my rig or just to my DTR rackmount tuner. This seems to work pretty well.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

JacksonBradwell

strangedesign, so the A/B switch completely takes the tuner out of your signal when you are going through to your rig and vice versa correct? Basically what im asking is, does the tuner still suck some of your tone although it is being bypassed by the A/B switch? thanks for all the replies it seems as though you all have encountered some similiar tuning pedal issues as well.