Darrell Cook guitars

Started by flynsqurl, February 18, 2009, 02:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flynsqurl

i've been trolling this forum and site for a few months and i thought i would finally post.

cactus, your Darrell Cook guitar looks awesome and the price is even more incredible for a custom guitar of that quality. after having it for over 6 months, what are your thoughts on it? if you could do something different, what would you do? how long did it take to make?

thanks

eric

cactuskeeb

Six months, yes...um, that reminds me, it's an electric guitar so I should probably finish my (legendary) Fender amp, before I tell you it's really everything I think it is right now, having played it exclusively unplugged (well, I do ocassionally plug it into a headphone amp, to check the pickups for microphonics and potential ungrounding issues--none thus far, though). 

In truth, I don't think it trumps Trey's languedoc, so, you know, it's not the greatest guitar out there.  I would say that it's the best sounding instrument--guitar, piano, or mandolin--I've ever played myself.  If you do decide you want to discuss some plans to have Darrell or whomever build you a custom, small archtop a la (a) Languedoc, the best thing to do, yourself, in the time interval it takes to construct your guitar, is to learn all the "ins and outs" of SETUP (how to lower/raise the action, adjusting the truss for a modicum of neck relief; maintaining string height viz. bridge and nut slot depth etc.).  In the last two months, especially, I've noticed even further "settling in" of my guitar as I'm nearing the point, at last, where I feel the guitar is sounding extraordinary, because the feel is finally right.  If you go on PT and search the archives for the posts linking to Sneed's turquoise Languedoc, you'll even see that Paul's guitars will require extensive lowering of the action but not too much or else you'll end up with a dead sounding instrument.

strangedesign

i've got to get me a decent guitar one of these days.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

picture_of_nectar

Cactus, can you post some more pics of your axe? thx
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone