Started by Armenian Man, August 26, 2010, 02:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEWBIE!

2 (100%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Armenian Man

Hey guys,
Been checking this site out recently, and decided to join.  I am an avid guitar player and a guitar dork with a love for Phish and Trey's unbelievable tone.  i just got an all koa equator instruments languedoc clone and many of treys pedals and a mix of my favorites as well.  I play this through a two rock custom reverb v2 or a fender 60 showman with a built in spring reverb unit, and some mods.  would love to get your guys imput on these equator instrument languedoc clones.  Still waiting to recieve  the guitar in the mail....should be sweet im sure....Now that the tour is over, i can go back to thinking about seeing Phish again in the fall!  I thought i would grow out of it, but i guess im a lifer!!!!

Poster

those guitar are junk. id get my money back. i sold mine at a loss for a real guitar that was made in america.

love the two rock amps, welcome to the site!

picture_of_nectar

Welcome ArmenianMan, congrats on your new guitar! Post pics!

it's unfortunte your first encounter here was with our resident know-it-all gear snob. Don't listen to posterdouchebag, you'll love your new guitar. He is bound to tell you that your pedals suck too.

BTW, his American Languedoc clone that is so much better then eveyone elses has a bolt on neck and a stoptail bridge and centerblock. Lol

Anyway, we aren't all dicks here. Looking forward to your contributions to the forum!
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Poster

i have every right to my own opinion? why dont you go fish for a fight with someone who gives a shit

picture_of_nectar

You do poster, as do I....

My opinion is that it's very rude and untactfull to welcome a new user by calling his brand new expensive custom guitar a "piece of junk. "

suit yourself.

patrickstefanski

Jeez, this post has turned into a dollop of murk....on the curb.

However, Welcome Armenian Man. 

I looked long and hard at those equator guitars for awhile.  I think they are really pretty. The reason I ended up not getting one was my complete lack of electrical knowledge.  Buying a guitar without any electronics wasn't something I was comfortable with.   They are really nice though. Can't wait to hear your review/potential clips.

Is your axe on the site?  Can you point it out?
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

Poster

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on August 30, 2010, 02:36:41 PM

My opinion is that it's very rude and untactfull to welcome a new user by calling his brand new expensive custom guitar a "piece of junk. "

Wow your so cool man!

picture_of_nectar

Listen Poster, I am not trolling for a fight with you. ArmenianMan did ask for opinions on Equators and you offered yours....fine.

Had it been me in your shoes, gone through the bad experience you had with Equator...I'd have just offered constructive criticism, rather then just calling it a "piece of junk." Perhaps the lemon you ended up with was a piece of junk for multiple reasons...that doesn't mean his new Koa hollow will be as well. He has built somewhere around 100 guitars since yours Poster.

I have owned several Equators over the last few years, and I have one on the way. The reason I have been through sveral is I haven't quite found the tone/feel I wanted yet, they were each unique, and some better then others.

My feedback is this:
-quality has improved over the last couple of years substantially
-the guitars are beautiful, with excellent binding work. However not perfect, often one or two minor cosmetic flaws.
-tropical woods, so keep it hydrated, and prepare to have the neck adjusted probably every 6 months for a while.
-David's fret and nut/saddle setup work seems rushed, so the first thing you should do is take it into a quality Luthier for a proper setup
-also have the electronics put in by your trusted local Luthier (unless you know how.)
-I recommend Lollar Imperial pickups, they sound fantastic in Equators.
-Mini and PAL models are imbalanced, so consider adding weight to the tail.

pretty soon I will be able to offer a comparison between Equator vs Languedoc. I'm expecting the Doc to be twice as nice, but you get what you pay for.

Poster

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on August 30, 2010, 03:10:00 PM

. The reason I have been through sveral is I haven't quite found the tone/feel I wanted yet, they were each unique, and some better then others.

LOL

picture_of_nectar

Armenian Man

Haha, awesome feedback boys....Yes its on there right now, second one down......No offense taken mr nutbag, i definately dont think its junk, but we will see....Yes I am sure the doc is twice as good, no doubt, but it will be a while until i can afford one of those.  so poster, what guitar is your choice?

Poster

Cool man, I play an AO guitar now without a backup on tour. I can fling this thing over my head like a bullwhip and no problems. Solid as a rock. My Eq was very flimsy and had some wonkiness all throughout the body and neck. You should checkout AO guitars online and see what Andrew is up to. Very cool guy and when I got my guitar everything had been very carefully worked over in every detail. :0) Multiple luthiers tried to fix the Eq guitar and all said it was junk. Iam no luthier, so I let the professionals determine that stuff.

aoguitars

Welcome ArmenianMan! As you can see, there's already lots to talk about here the friendly group that is SD.

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on August 30, 2010, 12:53:45 AM

BTW, his American Languedoc clone that is so much better then eveyone elses has a bolt on neck and a stoptail bridge and centerblock. Lol

P-O-N, I have to take some exception to this. The guitar I built for Poster is clearly not a Languedoc clone, and was never intended to be. What's wrong or LOL funny about a guitar with a bolt-on neck with a hardtail bridge and a block?
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

picture_of_nectar

My bad.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just that those weresome defining characteristics of a Languedoc. Wasn't meant to be a knock on your guitars, I am sure they are awesome and I'd like to play one. Never seen them on the West Coast.

aoguitars

No worries at all...just wasn't sure where that was going.

Where on the West Coast are you? There's one in Santa Monica, one up in the sticks outside Portland...
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com