Backwards Down The Number Line (UPDATED)

Started by Walker done done, August 07, 2009, 02:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

EDIT: I've updated the brdige even further.  I believe the first section of the bridge (before the singing starts) is Em & C, and then once the vocals kick in it's Bm & C, then the D & G at the end.  Let me know what you think.

Backwards Down the Number Line
Tom Marshall/Trey Anastasio (Verse is in G, Chorus is in C)

C                 G
Happy happy oh my friend
                D
Blow out candles once again
                  Am
Leave the presents all inside
SN: (E)   (D)  C                     G
    Take  my  hand and let's take a ride    
                  D           Dsus   D  
Backwards down the number line
                        Em
You were eight and I was nine
                         D        SN: (A) (B) (C)
Do you know what happened there?
C                            
Do you know why we're still friends?
                       G
Laughing all these many years
                           D
We pushed through hardships tasted tears
              Em          SN: (E)  (D)  (C)
Made a promise one to keep    
C                          G
    I can still recite it in my sleep
            D                Dsus   D  
Every time a birthday comes
                           Em
Call your friend and sing a song              
               C
Or whisper it into his ears
                                   G
Or write it down, just don't miss a year

Chorus: (repeat each a few times)
     F               C                                  G
You decide what it contains, how long it goes but this remains
        F            C                       G
The only rule is it begins, happy happy oh my friend

F      C                               G
And all my friends come backwards down the number line (repeat)

Bridge:

Em  C

Em  C

Bm                        C
And when I see you coming down the line with eyes wide open
Bm                                C
Somewhere in between the past and future, where you drift in time
C                       D        G
You can see a different point of view

Repeat Chorus

Jam

Repeat Chorus
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

surefootedllama

those Am's should be Em's. 

thanks for posting!

Walker done done

Quote from: surefootedllama on August 07, 2009, 08:30:43 PM
those Am's should be Em's. 

thanks for posting!

No prob.  But I believe those Am's should be Am's.  It's a walk-down to the C from the E in the Am.  Listen to the difference between the chord struck on "leave the presents ALL inside" and then the chord struck on "you were eight and I was NINE".....you're telling me they're the same chord?  Doesn't sound it to me.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

surefootedllama

Well, you can play an Am there if you'd like, but it's not right.  Not trying to be rude or argumentative.  That walkup you have from A to C is right, however. 

Walker done done

Quote from: surefootedllama on August 10, 2009, 11:37:37 AM
Well, you can play an Am there if you'd like, but it's not right.  Not trying to be rude or argumentative.  That walkup you have from A to C is right, however. 

No worries brother, but unless it's Trey telling me that, I respectfully disagree.  Those 2 lines/chords I mentioned above do not sound like the same chord though...I wondered if Mike is hitting an E both times, and maybe Trey is hitting an Am then Em?  Don't have access to the song right now but just a thought.  Did you give it a listen again?  Take any of the SBD's from this tour and give'er a listen and lemme know if you still feel that way.

To everyone else: I'd love to get some other opinions too, guys....speak up!  I've been wrong before (and I'll be wrong again) but it'd be nice to get more opinions on the matter.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

surefootedllama

Yeah, I listened to it over and over after you replied just to make sure I wasn't hearing it wrong.  It does sound like two different chords, but it's the same chord play at different fret areas.  I tried playing the Am there and it doesn't sound right. 

bdubs

I don't hear a single a min.  That is wrong my friend.  This is Trey.

Walker done done

Quote from: bdubs on September 04, 2009, 12:03:02 AM

That might be THE lousiest 1st post ever on this board.  Thank you for setting the standard my friend, and welcome.  Hope your future posts are more productive. 

I will say that if you don't hear any minors in this song, your ear(s) are broken and need some alignment.  Put in Joe's Garage, eat some acid, rinse and repeat.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Poster

Quote from: bdubs on September 04, 2009, 12:03:02 AM

lol. your funny man.

Walker done done

Well.......I'm always willing to admit when I'm wrong, and in this case, I am/was wrong about the Am.  It is, unequivicolly, an Em, and there are no Am's in BDTNL.  Straight from the horses mouth (well, the Cactus's anyways).  I chatted him up for a few minutes after last nights show here in Portland (great fucking show, btw...busted out Meat!) and he confirmed that it is an Em.  He also confirmed that they're not doing Joe's Garage in Indio, which I didn't honestly think they'd do (I was more hoping).  And....I asked him about Suskind Hotel, and why it's not being played more often, either with his band or Phish, and he said Phish has tossed around incorporating into their setlists and have practiced it a few times.  Hooray!  Would love to see them bust that out in Indio!

Loop 3 Boomerang+

sour d

I think you put a bug in his ear about the suskind. I think he opened with it the next night. I talked with him after the show in portland and then at the bar for awhile but I don't think i had any intelligent questions like you walker. Good job. I was psyched to meet scott.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Walker done done

Quote from: sour d on September 14, 2009, 02:02:49 AM
I think you put a bug in his ear about the suskind. I think he opened with it the next night. I talked with him after the show in portland and then at the bar for awhile but I don't think i had any intelligent questions like you walker. Good job. I was psyched to meet scott.

I was bummed not to hear Suskind in Portland as he played it the night before and the night after.  Oh well.  Had a great time anyways.  But I do love that song and hope it gets more playtime.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

picture_of_nectar

Hey guys,
If you check out the Joy DVD in the Box set it has a close up of almost all of BD#L

Pretty sure "you were 8 and I was nine" verse goes to Em, not Am. and the walkup is totally E D C.

That DVD is really good for checking out what Trey is actually playing on a lot of the Joy album tunes.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Poster

Walker done done

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on January 26, 2010, 02:17:50 PM
Hey guys,
If you check out the Joy DVD in the Box set it has a close up of almost all of BD#L

Pretty sure "you were 8 and I was nine" verse goes to Em, not Am. and the walkup is totally E D C.

I'm pretty sure it's an Em too - Mike told me himself.  I'm going with that as my final answer.  And E D C would be a walk-down, which without a guitar in hand I can't verfiy its accuracy but I'm not inclined to disagree with you on merit alone. 

Loop 3 Boomerang+