Main Menu

Hot diggity damn!

Started by Walker done done, March 08, 2010, 11:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

Pics of the new 'Doc replica finally arrived this morning, to my delight.  2 years in the making and looks like I'll finally have it towards the middle of the summer, barring any setbacks.  I'm glad Pat (@ Resurrection Guitars) waited so long to find a nice top - very happy with the one he chose.  The top has been dampened to bring out the figure, and I'm wondering if I should even have him dye it the cherry red like the first one they built or if I should leave it au natural?  I do love the color on my first one, but this one is pretty stunning as is.  Got some time to decide, I suppose.  Anyways, here's what I've got so far (disregard the timestamp on the pics as they haven't been set to the correct date).

Koa top & back, cedar sides, ebony fretboard/headstock/tailpiece, maple neck:

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

picture_of_nectar

Sweet looking!

I would leave it natural if I were you.

Srry but 2 years seems like an absurd amount of time to wait. Even Paul gets his out every 6 months...
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Walker done done

Quote from: Walker done done on March 08, 2010, 11:54:23 AMKoa top & back, cedar sides, ebony fretboard/headstock/tailpiece, maple neck

And it is a long time to wait.  But it is what it is, and in the interim I was able to keep my current guitar and play it until this one arrives, so it wasn't a bad trade off.  I love everything about my current guitar sound-wise.  Ultimately, you could say that I never should've had to have a second one built, but putting the wait time aside, Resurrection is upholding their end of the bargain and making things right by building me another one, which I am thankful for.  One of the main reasons it's taken so long is he's has a hard time finding a good piece of Koa to use as the top.  I'm glad he waited until he found this piece.

If when this one arrives this summer and is everything I want it to be, then I can say with confidence that although the wait in between was tough, it was well worth the wait and the investment.  And I didn't have to pay $10k like Paul is charging (which he totally is entitled to do obviously - I just can't afford it).
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

picture_of_nectar

Oh cool, so this is a replacement for the one they made you that was messed up?

That top is awesome it will look stellar when finished, I think Koa looks great without paint.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Walker done done

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on March 08, 2010, 04:41:38 PM
Oh cool, so this is a replacement for the one they made you that was messed up?

Yes, this is a replacement. 

I think I'm leaning heavily towards leaving it as is and not staining it.  I really am starting to like the natural finish.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

jadirusso

Absolutely stay with the natural finish.. It's freaking beautiful.
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

ColForbin

I would also like to vote for the natural finish, it's the cock of the walk!
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

sour d

I vote for 10 to 12 coats of hot pink or buddy guy style polka dots. Cover that beautiful grain with lame!
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

raisingfreen

Walker,
Is this new guitar going to be a archtop or just flat-top? I ask because it appears he has already added the detail to the f-hole bindings so I imagine adding or removing wood to make it rounded/carved is null. I imagine after some sanding and rounding out the edges it will have that sort of look. Also curious if the sides will have some sort of binding or will it just be a clean and rounded wood finish? I am guessing that in these pics the top is not actually attached yet but rather just in place for the photo. I had thought your first one was a molded or archtop style look. Are you going for a more flat appearance this time around? That would be a different approach to this style. The wood you chose is really nice by the way. What are your plans for the wiring/switching setup? Pickup choice?
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Walker done done

Quote from: raisingfreen on March 10, 2010, 10:52:51 PM
Walker,
Is this new guitar going to be a archtop or just flat-top? I ask because it appears he has already added the detail to the f-hole bindings so I imagine adding or removing wood to make it rounded/carved is null. I imagine after some sanding and rounding out the edges it will have that sort of look. Also curious if the sides will have some sort of binding or will it just be a clean and rounded wood finish? I am guessing that in these pics the top is not actually attached yet but rather just in place for the photo. I had thought your first one was a molded or archtop style look. Are you going for a more flat appearance this time around? That would be a different approach to this style. The wood you chose is really nice by the way. What are your plans for the wiring/switching setup? Pickup choice?

Hey dude, sorry I missed your call last night, was at practice.  It's going to be the same as my current one (carved top, pups will be Schaller Golden 50's, series/parallel switches the same) except I'm not doing the effects loop bypass as I really have no need for it.  I talked to AO, and this as well as a unity gain buffer can all be added after the fact, should I choose to go that route.   I also am loving the wood, though I cannot take credit for choosing it, Pat (Resurrection Guitar Co.) is the one who did that, and I'm happy he waited so long to find a nice piece.  Sides will have binding, though I'm not educated enough on the process to tell you when that will take place.  Maybe AO can shed some light here....as long as its not a trade secret  ;)

Just got a nice email detailing this particular process, and yes, the binding goes on afterwards.  Thanks AO!

Loop 3 Boomerang+

raisingfreen

Walker,
Looks like your have the plans under control for the delivery of your new guitar. As far as the unity gain buffer ask Andrew if he can put an on off switch on yours, should you choose that route (I think he can with the right specs or a different model other than Waldo's CB1/2.) It does Jerry the sound a bit. Here is the key though: From what I recall you don't want to be playing or have your volume up and then engage the buffer with a switch as that would be bad for some reason (I cant remember). Sometimes I really wish I could turn mine off and just go passive (no Jerry esq tone). Not complaining though as it sounds killer. It's not meant to be a switch you turn on while playing like a boost. It's either on or off. They also make one with knob to adjust between 0-6db of the actual buffer gain. That may be just the right solution. I just don't see how your going to be changing a battery on a hollowbody. They last a long time but unless you have a cutout on the back I would not recommend it. Again ask Andrew what he thinks. I tend to just do what he says and keep it simple.

Also you may want to try series/split/parallell for each pickup instead of just the two (series/parallel) you mentioned. They have a small black three way for this and its very handy having the single coil sound. Series and Parallel are basically hum-bucking mode as I understand it. Parallel being the louder of the 2 as I recall. Could be wrong. I love being able to go from one to the other. That alone is a nice boost. Cant wait to see your new rig in action this summer!
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

patrickstefanski

Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

Walker done done

Quote from: patrickstefanski on July 14, 2010, 09:49:43 PM
any updates on this?

LOL...was supposed to gt some pics late last week but nothing yet.  I'm calling him now to request they be sent.

Not sure if I mentioned it before but when he started sanding it down and carving it he found a knot right above the bottom F-hole on the left (when looking at the guitar).  Needless to say I was a little bummed, but its wood...what can you do?  Rather than have him find another piece and wait God knows how long, I had him move the tone knob over an inch to the left so it sort of covered up the knot.  Shouldn't be a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  I'll post an update/pics once I get them.

How about your AO?  Where do we stand?

Loop 3 Boomerang+

patrickstefanski

Quote from: Walker done done on July 15, 2010, 03:27:25 PM
Quote from: patrickstefanski on July 14, 2010, 09:49:43 PM
any updates on this?

LOL...was supposed to gt some pics late last week but nothing yet.  I'm calling him now to request they be sent.

Not sure if I mentioned it before but when he started sanding it down and carving it he found a knot right above the bottom F-hole on the left (when looking at the guitar).  Needless to say I was a little bummed, but its wood...what can you do?  Rather than have him find another piece and wait God knows how long, I had him move the tone knob over an inch to the left so it sort of covered up the knot.  Shouldn't be a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  I'll post an update/pics once I get them.

How about your AO?  Where do we stand?

Sweet. I look forward to pics.

Nothing new on the AO.  Andrew's been pretty busy lately.  However, he assures me updates are on the horizon!  It's a little pathetic how much I think about it.  it's like a beacon of light moving ever closer, haha,  I'm actually a little scared of what's going to happen when I get it.  What will I have to look forward to!?! I'll probably just hop on the list again for a Venus bass.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

Walker done done

I know the feeling.  I can guarantee you this: when that package arrives, your heart will be racing so much you'll feel like you might actually pass out from the excitement.  It's a pretty incredible feeling, being that you most likely saved up for so long to get something you probably never dreamed you'd be able to get, and then to have that moment actually arrive, it's quite something.  Seeing it for the first time will be surreal, like dreaming, and then....it's go time.   ;D  

UPDATE: pics should be arriving shortly...

Loop 3 Boomerang+