Practice Routine

Started by jgibb, April 22, 2012, 11:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgibb

So I've been stuck at the same level of mediocre guitar playing for the past 4 years. I have tried and tried to become better, but I just don't know what to do. Can you guys tell me some of your practice routines that have helped you improve? thanks! I appreciate it.

Heady Jam Fan

Check out the guitar lessons forum, start with the Levine Jazz Theory PDFs - depending on your current level, and the Dunbar book will also really open up some new ideas for almost anyone. I always thought macroanalysis was really helpful too - not only learning a song, but why things work in relation to music theory.

What kinda stuff are you doing / comfortable with? Where do you want to get?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

I like to pick a Key a day as a warmup, and to set a metronome and just do 1/8th notes of all the modes and other scales.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

jgibb

I don't know too much about music. I know the generic chords, power chords, the major scale, and the minor penatonic. that's about it. I want to be able to know any note on the guitar and what notes construct a chord, etc. Once I get that down, I want to be able to create solos that aren't so boring, lack of rhythm and slow as mine are now. I am very good at practicing and will do anything I can to succeed.

dabomb

My best advice is to take a lesson on good bending and vibrato. It makes all the difference

dabomb

I guess what Im saying is that more theory will not make you sound better.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: jgibb on April 27, 2012, 05:43:14 PM
I don't know too much about music. I know the generic chords, power chords, the major scale, and the minor penatonic. that's about it. I want to be able to know any note on the guitar and what notes construct a chord, etc. Once I get that down, I want to be able to create solos that aren't so boring, lack of rhythm and slow as mine are now. I am very good at practicing and will do anything I can to succeed.

If by generic chords you mean open or barre chords, that is a really good start - I know it might seem basic, but it is fundamental; learn those chords up and down the neck, using your index finger to 'bar' the notes where the open strings ring out at the neck. It really opens up the guitar, especially when you start combining that with the various scale shapes and paying attention to the arpeggios (the notes from each chord and how they map to each scale). So, for example, the open G-shape G chord (by fret starting in low E: 320003) can be play in C (G-shape C Chord: 875558).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

manicstarseed

Quote from: jgibb on April 27, 2012, 05:43:14 PM
... I want to be able to know any note on the guitar and what notes construct a chord, etc.....

The CAGED system is a great tool for "unlocking" the fretboard. There are multiple resources out there. I used Bill Richards' Fretboard Logic for my go-to reference. The system identifies the repeating chord patterns up and down the fretboard. If nothing else, it really helps orient oneself to the notes (or chords/shapes) on the fretboard. Its more of a mapping system, not a music system and is unique to guitar.

Once I got some CAGED under my belt musical growth was enabled because I am now rarely lost. If you say play a scale/mode in a particular position, I can get there. The trick is to get there in an instant.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

cactuskeeb

I prefer not thinking about or doing anything except playing for at least a few hours straight with no breaks. I try to focus completely on the playing and not do any practice runs, scale analysis, or think reflectively about theory while actually playing music. I'll just play the stuff I already know really well, and do so over and over, hearing and honing in on the tiny details of each musical passage. This is the only kind of practice behavior that ultimately allows me to transcend perceived "plateaus" in my playing.

jgibb

What do you play? Do you play a bunch of songs over and over? or do you jam over songs?

cactuskeeb

I used to jam over songs. Now I play my favorite parts of songs, continuously, with nothing else going on, loop- or song-wise, in the background. Eventually your comfort level with what you are playing kind of stabilizes and you start to hear more in the way of nuance in your playing, which is always sort of an eye-opening experience. At least, that's what happens to me. Also, it may help to plug straight into your amp, bypassing effects, and turn it up loud enough so that your amp is really cooking. That being said, you should add a little reverb if possible, unless your practice environment provides this effect naturally.

Happyorange27

Cactus also lights a fatty so big that he hears all the effects in his mind.  :P
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

fulltone1989

...Theory does make you sound better, or at least like you know what you're doing.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

dabomb

My point is that if you can't sound good playing pentatonic (which the original poster said he knew), you have to look at why. Working phrasing, bending, and vibrato may make more sense than trying to incorporate more theory in order to sound better.

I'm all for theory, but if you don't sound good with what you got I don't see the point of adding more vocabulary.

fulltone1989

Quote from: dabomb on May 03, 2012, 08:28:56 PM
My point is that if you can't sound good playing pentatonic (which the original poster said he knew), you have to look at why. Working phrasing, bending, and vibrato may make more sense than trying to incorporate more theory in order to sound better.

I'm all for theory, but if you don't sound good with what you got I don't see the point of adding more vocabulary.

How would any of licks make sense if you didn't know how to apply them?