Shopping for a new amp..

Started by fulltone1989, May 31, 2012, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Hey everybody,

I sold my DRRI and I am in the market for something with more headroom for my pedlolz. I haven't been too up-to-date with amps nowadays so any and all recommendations are welcome..

I had a line on a Soul-O 45 but the reverb was fudged and it was a pretty far drive from me/unaccommodating seller. However, there's a Mesa 5:50 an hr from me that I may have to check out.

The amp doesn't have to be new, in fact i'd prefer used so I can save some cash.

Additionally, If you've got an amp that you're looking to sell that fits the criteria, shoot me a PM w/ an email I can get back to you at.

Also, I'm hoping to spend at most $1,100.

What say ye?!?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

picture_of_nectar

Shop around for a Silverface Vibrolux Reverb. I scored one for $1,200 not long ago.

That's assuming you like the fender sound.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

cactuskeeb

If your ability to be patient allows you to save up a little more, I'd spend around 1500 to 2000 on a vintage Fender as long as you can be certain the transformers aren't shot. We can help you revive it if you're willing to spend a few hundred more on parts.

Heady Jam Fan

Congrats on selling the DRRI!

You can probably guess I am going to suggest an MKIII :D Loving mine, massive headroom on the first channel and nothing touches the lead channel (the closest thing I got to the lead channel was using a Boss PQ4 as a midrange boost).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

cactuskeeb

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on May 31, 2012, 10:35:07 PM
Congrats on selling the DRRI!

You can probably guess I am going to suggest an MKIII :D Loving mine, massive headroom on the first channel and nothing touches the lead channel (the closest thing I got to the lead channel was using a Boss PQ4 as a midrange boost).

I've been meaning to tell you, when I played through a DRRI back in 2003 as I was graduating from college I used an equalizer at the end of my effects chain to give a midrange boost. This reply is kind of an aside but I just had to mention it as I found it kind of funny that you did the same thing.

Heady Jam Fan

Lol - great minds ;)

Probably a better option for a Fender than trying to do a midrange mod unless your technically inclined yourself. More and more I think of Trey's 'gain staging' as midrange staging.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

cactuskeeb

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on May 31, 2012, 11:16:05 PM
More and more I think of Trey's 'gain staging' as midrange staging.

I think I know what you mean. I think of his midrange boost, or "staging," as just another gain stage. There's really nothing else to do when removing the vibrato circuit other than to add another gain stage.

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, I wouldn't know what else is possible after taking out vibrato.

I guess I just think of the staging or use of TS9's more, or at least as much, about their midrange as the overdrive. I find that even rolling back my volume, I feel the midrange is less pronounced. And I also think you can get some great, powerful, soaring leads without a ton of overdrive - something like Stash is not extremely distorted, but still powerful and that is more about boosting the midrange (I have been using the clean TS, guitar volume maxed or close with the Mesa lead channel, which cuts the highs that really let you hear the overdrive, but adds mids that are smooth and clear so I find it sounds cleaner than it is). Obviously some leads sound better more distorted and something like Chalkdust Torture wouldn't be the same if the guitar was clean, but I just think that building levels of intensity (aside from tonal dissonance) in Trey's music is more about a changes in the amount of midrange than overdrive, or at least it plays an equal part.

cactuskeeb

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 01, 2012, 12:08:05 AM

I guess I just think of the staging or use of TS9's more, or at least as much, about their midrange as the overdrive. I find that even rolling back my volume, I feel the midrange is less pronounced. And I also think you can get some great, powerful, soaring leads without a ton of overdrive - something like Stash is not extremely distorted, but still powerful and that is more about boosting the midrange (I have been using the clean TS, guitar volume maxed or close with the Mesa lead channel, which cuts the highs that really let you hear the overdrive, but adds mids that are smooth and clear so I find it sounds cleaner than it is). Obviously some leads sound better more distorted and something like Chalkdust Torture wouldn't be the same if the guitar was clean, but I just think that building levels of intensity (aside from tonal dissonance) in Trey's music is more about a changes in the amount of midrange than overdrive, or at least it plays an equal part.

On the subject of thinking ts-9 as midrange staging, I've found that if you talk to the folks who work for Analog Mike, they'll tell you the Silver option contributes to a more scooped midrange. Now, I don't know how much of that is actually true. In the ten years I have bought various things from them I've learned they put forth some pretty brilliant marketing schemes. At any rate, you might want to try a ts-9 modified to 808 specs without the so-called transparency proffered by the Silver option.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: cactuskeeb on June 01, 2012, 12:24:53 AM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 01, 2012, 12:08:05 AM

On the subject of thinking ts-9 as midrange staging, I've found that if you talk to the folks who work for Analog Mike, they'll tell you the Silver option contributes to a more scooped midrange. Now, I don't know how much of that is actually true. In the ten years I have bought various things from them I've learned they put forth some pretty brilliant marketing schemes. At any rate, you might want to try a ts-9 modified to 808 specs without the so-called transparency proffered by the Silver option.

Scooped sounds like a hyperbolic way to say it, but I think I understand where that is coming from - the Silver opens up the bass a bit - not as much as some other boutique clones or mods - but that can draw away from that smack-in-the-middle midrange I suppose. To me it sounds warmer rather than nasal (as some TS variants I have tried sound) . To me it sounds like the low-mids are fuller, while some of the very low end and the top end are still rolled off. I could see how this might be less than ideal on a Fender thats already scooped though (and tends to have loose bass), but the Mesa I think would cut on its own ;)

I have been using an SRB808 2in1 with voiced to be as close to vintage TS 808>9 as possible. It is great, but I am so used to the Silvers, they have been my main drive for a few years, so I think I am going to keep the Silvers. Maybe my mind will change if I find some true vintage ones or get a chance to try the 808 mod, but I am not unhappy with the Silvers currently.

fulltone1989

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on May 31, 2012, 10:09:30 PM
Shop around for a Silverface Vibrolux Reverb. I scored one for $1,200 not long ago.

That's assuming you like the fender sound.

I LOVE the Fender sound, Rob Compa from Dopapod rocks a SFVR and I think he's got great tone. There's a 1971 at Matt's Music for $1199 I'm gonna check into.

cactuskeeb - What should I look for to determine the OT or PT is shot? Rust?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

picture_of_nectar

^ Best amp I have played for the $.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

IamWILSON

Yeah I'd say to go for the SFVR as well.  That may actually be my next vintage amp purchase. 
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

cactuskeeb

Quote from: fulltone1989 on June 01, 2012, 08:18:48 AM

No, rust is definitely not an indicator that the transformer is bad. If you're buying one you're able to test out -- that is to say, not off ebay -- just play it for at least 45 minutes to an hour. Ideally, you want it to really kind of settle in to a nice, smooth, warm sound after about thirty five minutes or so. Listen for random noises and if you hear something suspicious, swap out the preamp tubes beginning in the first two stages, and see how things change, if at all. Obviously, to do this you will have to have brought some with you; ones that you know are good (as non-microphonic as possible is the best choice in this case, even though on-the-verge-of-death, microphonic-as-fuck sometimes sound the best). If you have some quick and dirty device to measure and adjust the bias, like a Weber Bias Rite, I'd bring that as well, and know already what your intended bias setting will be based on the particular amp you're trying out. It would be a great idea to have some old RCA power tubes -- ones that you're confident are in good working order -- to throw in so that you can push the bias well above what most internet bias calculators characterize as "hot."

If you're buying off a site like ebay, sight-unseen, just ask. The vast majority of sellers often will go so far as to overstate any apparent defects, simply because their business quite literally depends on their reputation/feedback rating.

fulltone1989

Quote from: cactuskeeb on June 01, 2012, 09:02:13 PM
Quote from: fulltone1989 on June 01, 2012, 08:18:48 AM

No, rust is definitely not an indicator that the transformer is bad. If you're buying one you're able to test out -- that is to say, not off ebay -- just play it for at least 45 minutes to an hour. Ideally, you want it to really kind of settle in to a nice, smooth, warm sound after about thirty five minutes or so. Listen for random noises and if you hear something suspicious, swap out the preamp tubes beginning in the first two stages, and see how things change, if at all. Obviously, to do this you will have to have brought some with you; ones that you know are good (as non-microphonic as possible is the best choice in this case, even though on-the-verge-of-death, microphonic-as-fuck sometimes sound the best). If you have some quick and dirty device to measure and adjust the bias, like a Weber Bias Rite, I'd bring that as well, and know already what your intended bias setting will be based on the particular amp you're trying out. It would be a great idea to have some old RCA power tubes -- ones that you're confident are in good working order -- to throw in so that you can push the bias well above what most internet bias calculators characterize as "hot."

If you're buying off a site like ebay, sight-unseen, just ask. The vast majority of sellers often will go so far as to overstate any apparent defects, simply because their business quite literally depends on their reputation/feedback rating.

Great advice, but I read your post a bit late. I went down to my local GC for shits n grins and I found a clean Mesa 5:50 1x12 for $850. I played it for an hour and got both channels to "work together" in a way. ch 1 as a base clean w/ pedals and ch 2 as a grittier boost. Additionally, I was without an amp so I took it home. Although I am not entirely set on keeping this guy the 30 day money back deal is the one thing GC really has going for themselves. It's a 6L6 amp and it's really nice getting back into these types of amps. I personally prefer that tube over the 6V6 or EL34. 

Anyways, I have 30 days to fiddle with it and try it out with the band and in the meantime I can look for a SFVR.