Cool writeup on Trey's Languedocs

Started by picture_of_nectar, February 09, 2014, 12:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

picture_of_nectar

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Buffered

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on February 09, 2014, 12:30:13 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yVeQHXjSIOoJbOw-cUz0WjD9x8b3L4qB-TnL6HVks7E/preview?sle=true&pli=1

Spoke on TGP with the person who was setting the time guitars in that pic a few years ago, had no idea it was Paul. I'd rather have the amp collection!
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Down_With_Sco

To be fair and clear.

I made this document and those two pictures with the Time guitars are meant to show just the guitars. I do not know who owns those.... I only have an idea who built them.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Buffered

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on February 09, 2014, 11:21:07 AM
To be fair and clear.

I made this document and those two pictures with the Time guitars are meant to show just the guitars. I do not know who owns those.... I only have an idea who built them.

Ah nevermind! Thanks for the clarification. That dude has quite the collection.
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

picture_of_nectar

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

cactuskeeb

Since we're talking about writeups on trey's languedoc, I thought I'd share an article I photocopied years ago at the library.  I forget which guitar mag (the hardcopy isn't near me at the moment) but the series is called "setups of the stars" and goes into extreme detail regarding action, pickup height, fretboard radius, etc (apparently the person working for the mag who wrote the piece travels to shows and takes these precise measurements himself).  I'll type it all out asap.  For now, I can tell you that it states Trey's action is set medium low, which string height of the treble strings measuring 3.5 64ths at the 12th fret (i.e., the distance between the top of the 12th fret and the string is 3.5 64ths) and 4.5 64ths at the 12th for the bass strings.  If you don't have a ruler that displays 64ths and 32nds, you should.  Very cheap and easy to come by.  Can't recall off the top of my head (again, I will type out the full article soon) pickup height.  The most interesting thing was the 9" fretboard radius.  A strat is typically 9.5" (think Jimi Hendrix's strat for a reference) and a gibson runs 12" to 14" (the latter being the most common and is what Languedoc does for all his guitars nowadays).  The article explains that this allows "cleaner bends over the low action."  I really want to try this on my les paul but at least AO says it would involve replacing the fretboard and a bunch of other expensive things.

WarrenTrey1

Hey cactus. Did you ever retype this article.
RM Olson Ollandoc, 2001 Ep. Les Paul, 1957 fender stray reissue.

Mesa Boogie Nomad 2x12 combo, bbe sonic maximiser, 80's ibanez ts-808(modded), full tone wah, mxr phase 90, electro harmonics chorus, line 6 delay, more to come.

tsbot

Man so his guitars are 9" radius?  How does that all work?  I have an artinger hollow with a 12" but the neck is not big or chunky, my fender 9.5" had a bigger neck - I always thought the bigger the radius the chunkier the neck?  Also how can you measure a guitar radius?

Buffered

The Radius is just how flat the fretboard is. On my H2T it's a 20" so it's very flat, and actually quite comfortable. Also, you can use a radius gauge on the saddles of some guitars to match the fretboard. The Wilkinson on my H2T has those strat style saddles so it's possible but on a tune o matic they're automatically set for that radius. Some say a flatter radius is harder to play lead with, but I never notice and having grown up playing Gibson guitars that's where I'm most comfortable. When I play my girlfriend's strat you can really feel the difference when playing chords.

Helping Friendly

I thought Languedocs came stock with a 16" radius? I guess Trey likes Paul to make his 9" though? Good info if correct :)

tsbot

All of PL's are 14" stock - be really interesting to see what Trey's really are - and the foam keeps getting thicker!

LooksLikeDave

Quote from: cactuskeeb on February 09, 2014, 03:27:14 PM
Since we're talking about writeups on trey's languedoc, I thought I'd share an article I photocopied years ago at the library.  I forget which guitar mag (the hardcopy isn't near me at the moment) but the series is called "setups of the stars" and goes into extreme detail regarding action, pickup height, fretboard radius, etc (apparently the person working for the mag who wrote the piece travels to shows and takes these precise measurements himself).  I'll type it all out asap.  For now, I can tell you that it states Trey's action is set medium low, which string height of the treble strings measuring 3.5 64ths at the 12th fret (i.e., the distance between the top of the 12th fret and the string is 3.5 64ths) and 4.5 64ths at the 12th for the bass strings.  If you don't have a ruler that displays 64ths and 32nds, you should.  Very cheap and easy to come by.  Can't recall off the top of my head (again, I will type out the full article soon) pickup height.  The most interesting thing was the 9" fretboard radius.  A strat is typically 9.5" (think Jimi Hendrix's strat for a reference) and a gibson runs 12" to 14" (the latter being the most common and is what Languedoc does for all his guitars nowadays).  The article explains that this allows "cleaner bends over the low action."  I really want to try this on my les paul but at least AO says it would involve replacing the fretboard and a bunch of other expensive things.

This had me intrigued. So I tracked down what mag it was from and bought it off Amazon.  I took pics of the article (too lazy to type it out) pretty interesting though. The 9" radius is weird. I wonder if Trey requests that radius? Paul may prefer 14"?

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]
04 PRS CE24-mid2000's ts9's-Rivera Sustain Shamen-RMC3LE-Qtron+-Vox Tonelab SE-Crate Vintage Club 50-FSR Princeton Reverb

LooksLikeDave

04 PRS CE24-mid2000's ts9's-Rivera Sustain Shamen-RMC3LE-Qtron+-Vox Tonelab SE-Crate Vintage Club 50-FSR Princeton Reverb

LooksLikeDave

I give up..

Paste in between the IMG's right?

LooksLikeDave