Different Than Usual Trey Tone

Started by Jkendrick, May 15, 2014, 11:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkendrick

Does anyone have any idea what Trey was playing for the Story of the Ghost Limb By Limb?  It's my favorite Trey tone, both clean and lead. I realize it's studio and may have more going on than just his live rig and even may have a totally different setup for clean vs. lead. But any insight would be appreciated.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Jkendrick on May 15, 2014, 11:09:03 PM
Does anyone have any idea what Trey was playing for the Story of the Ghost Limb By Limb?  It's my favorite Trey tone, both clean and lead. I realize it's studio and may have more going on than just his live rig and even may have a totally different setup for clean vs. lead. But any insight would be appreciated.

From what I've read, he used his Ibanez MC 150 on it, rather than a Doc.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Jkendrick

Do you think it's the Boogie, the Fender, or something else?
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Hoody

I'm actually fairly certain that is the Deluxe Reverb with Vibrato and Reverb on.  And i was fairly certain it was the Languedoc, so its interesting someone heard elsewhere that it was the Ibanez.  I could be wrong on the Languedoc, its only from my ear, so would love to hear the source.

Does it sound like a Languedoc to others?  I have that combo and i think it nails the clean tone, but maybe there is another way to get it.

Down_With_Sco

Clean tone sounds like Languedoc into a Fender DR and obviously compressed imo.

Lead tone is just a tube screamer imo.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Hoody

Yeah, i really think that is right.  Languedoc, compressor, and reverb/vibrato w/ DR.  Lead is definitely just the tube screamer.

This site needs to get an insider to participate regularly for all these weighty issues.  I actually don't think it would be all that hard.

Hoody

And for what its worth, the Vibrato on a blackface deluxe is unreal.  Its an incredible sound that you cannot get elsewhere.  Worth the price of the amp alone, so much depth.  The sound is bliss.  Especially w/ a Ross and languedoc.

Jkendrick

For those of you saying "Blackface Deluxe" are you strictly referring to the original or do you think you can get close with the RI with say new speakers and tubes. I'm just starting to think about a new amp but don't want to break the bank.

Hoody

I meant blackface as in the 64-67ish DR's.  The ones with the ab763 circuit.

I don't think the RI really sound the same at all.  And they lose their value pretty quickly.  The old ones are expensive but sound way better, more depth/rounder natural compression.  And they don't lose value.  But they'll cost you up front.

Hoody

I think if it's possible to spare the money up front the blackface amps are the better investment.  If money is tight, then the silverfaces are the next best option and really solid.  The newer RI aren't really the same and can sound a bit thin and brittle.  Totally different components and circuit (and sound).  I think if they didn't have the name no one would even consider them to be the same amp.

tsbot

I agree - I had a Twin Reverb RI - got a DRRI to have more breakup and did not like it at all - thin, brittle, trebly -  purchased a Vintage Sound Vintage 22 (blackface circuits) and it smokes all of them hands down! Couldn't be happier - so dynamic, compressive, good reverb and trem!

Heady Jam Fan

I'd suggest Silverface. I have one myself ;)

Especially for the smaller amps, not much, if anything, changed between Blackface and Silverface. The BF is pretty price - to the point where I wouldn't want to bring it out of my house personally. The SF, however, is affordable, but I think they will start to go up in value as the BF's start to become more rare and expensive.

I also love the sound of the tremolo, but I don't use it too often. Mostly for a 'chopper' effect on sustain or something. I plugged the trem footswitch jack, so the effect is always on, but not noticeable until I turn up the intensity. I've thought about leaving the knob up a bit higher on the reg, just for a bit of texture.

Speaking of cleans, I've been flip flopping how I get my clean tone: TS9 with my volume rolled back, just the compressor, a clean midboost pedal (EQ or I might play with modding a TS to be louder and cleaner)... Trey's clean is hard to cop (not that I am trying to cop it exactly, but rather learn from it): sometimes its very clean, other times a bit of grit and I wonder if he keeps his DR a bit overdriven, or if the grit is always from a TS (or, in other words, whether a TS is on).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Jkendrick

Where do you all find these vintage amps? Craigslist, Reverb, TGP? Would I be looking at about $1000 for a Silverface? I hate the idea of buying an amp without the ability to play it first and it seems I could be waiting a while if I were to wait for one to go up for sale locally. I like the sounds of the Vintage Sound stuff, but I'm hoping I can pay for the amp with the sale of both my UniValve and Blues Jr., though that likely wouldn't even get me all the way there for the Silverface let alone a Vintage Sound.

Heady Jam Fan

There are always a few Silverface Fenders for sale in Pittsburgh, Deluxes come up pretty often. I keep my eye on Craigslist and local guitar shops. I've seen them lately from $900 to $1200. $900 means they have some mods, replacements parts, or cosmetic issues. $1200 should be ready to play and probably checked by a technician recently, fairly original...
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Helping Friendly

Quote from: No Nice Guy on May 16, 2014, 01:04:56 AM
Quote from: Jkendrick on May 15, 2014, 11:09:03 PM
Does anyone have any idea what Trey was playing for the Story of the Ghost Limb By Limb?  It's my favorite Trey tone, both clean and lead. I realize it's studio and may have more going on than just his live rig and even may have a totally different setup for clean vs. lead. But any insight would be appreciated.

From what I've read, he used his Ibanez MC 150 on it, rather than a Doc.

This was on the web awhile back, I do remember reading it and thought "hmm...."
Who knows if it's fact though? Anything is possible I guess. Great tone regaurdless :)