Questions for Brian Brown - Part 3

Started by strangedesign, December 05, 2007, 04:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strangedesign

Hey guys. Glenn called me today to see how things are going. He said Brian is finally getting some extra time to answer some questions for us. Here is what I gave him as of today.

1.     What are the 2 boxes on top of Trey's rack?
    2.     What kind of mods if any, were made to Trey's wha?
    3.     What mods were done to Trey's Deluxe Reverb?
    4.     What kind of expression pedal is Trey using for the CAE Super Tremolo?
    5.     Can Brian give us any info on the a/b switch that Trey uses for the CAE Super Tremolo?

Latest questions from the site:

6.     What effects is trey using during the Song Undermind? Some guys said it sounds like he dropped his tone an octive. It almost sounds like a bass with some wha and overdrive. If I had to guess I would say it was wha + ts9 + whammy 2. You can here it here at the 1:58 mark:
http://www.strangedesign.org/02Undermind.m4p

7.     There is another effect that we all are also wondering what it is. I really remember hearing it during Free especially during '95. Sounds like Trey is playing a delay but the speed and tone fluctuates up and down and it also sounds like Trey is controlling both. You can here this here at the 5:45 mark::
http://www.strangedesign.org/ph1995-11-18d2t01.mp3
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Poster

Well we know one of those boxes on his amp is just a box for his picks. but great questions!!

On another note all you guys need to participate more in these threads i make everyday, i always see dozens of views and no comments?

strangedesign

We drove over to Atlanta yesterday to hang out with Outformation at the Variety Playhouse. Glen came down and met us for some drinks at the Brew House in Little 5 pts. We had a blast. This morning I got an email from Glenn and Brian with the answers to our latest questions. Here you go..

1.     What are the 2 boxes on top of Trey's rack?
The two boxes are a pick / fingernail clipper box that is a tiny road case and a power transformer for the CAE 4x4 and RS-10 pedal.

2.     What kind of mods if any, were made to Trey's wha?
Trey uses a stock Dunlap GCB-95 wah-wah (we went through many before we found the one that sounded right).

The first tube that the guitar signal meets inside the amp is a 12AT7 (instead of 12AX7). The \"Vibrato\" circuit was reconfigured into a \"midrange boost\" (we added another pot and knob to the front face of the amp where the 2nd input usually went). We replaced the stock speaker (Utah 12\") with a Celestion Blue Alnico 12\".

4.     What kind of expression pedal is Trey using for the CAE Super Tremolo?
Dunlap Exp-1(CAE tremolo rate control)

5.     Can Brian give us any info on the a/b switch that Trey uses for the CAE Super Tremolo?
custom built box with (2) switches, Tremolo / chop mode is the first switch and ch. A / ch. B is the second.

6.     What effects is trey using during the Song Undermind? Some guys said it sounds like he dropped his tone an octive. It almost sounds like a bass with some wha and overdrive. If I had to guess I would say it was wha + ts9 + whammy 2. You can here it here at the 1:58 mark: http://www.strangedesign.org/02Undermind.m4p
Good guess, it is the whammy 2 (one octave lower), TS-9, and the wah-wah at 50% (I didn't know his rig could make that noise, when I first heard it at a gig, I freaked out thinking that something had gone insane on stage).

7.     There is another effect that we all are also wondering what it is. I really remember hearing it during Free especially during '95. Sounds like Trey is playing a delay but the speed and tone fluctuates up and down and it also sounds like Trey is controlling both. You can here this here at the 5:45 mark: http://www.strangedesign.org/ph1995-11-18d2t01.mp3
This is a side feature on his digital delay (Ibanez DM-2000), it's called \"modulate\" (any musical phrase that is being held in an endless loop can go up and down (faster and slower) like a \"police siren\".

www.strangedesign.org

Poster

you are the man! iam so pumped, who wouldve guessed it was the wah half engaged?!! thats awesome fucking great dude ;0) did you hit the outformation gig? was it any good?

strangedesign

We did make the OUtformation gig. They were rocking hard last night. Quite a bit of people showed up thank goodness. We saw them in Huntsville, AL a few weeks ago and there were no more then 10 people in the bar. We are pretty good friends with those guys and try to catch them when ever we can.

www.strangedesign.org

Poster

i monkeyed around with my dm2000 and its modulation setting and its makes all sorts of crazy noises. How i hadnt discovered this before is beyond me... I think in the future iam going to put it in a single rackmount for my keyboard so i can tweak with it while iam playing a synth  :lol:  fucking crazy man  :lol:

Walker done done

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Happyorange27

Quote from: strangedesign on December 09, 2007, 02:28:10 PM

The first tube that the guitar signal meets inside the amp is a 12AT7 (instead of 12AX7).

I'm so doing this tonight.  I have a 12AY7 in my first position and didn't think you could safely go lower.  Can't wait.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

GDCSH-1

"Make Your Move To Improve Your Groove" -Magic Hat cap