Trey's rack (no not that kind)

Started by No Nice Guy, February 03, 2014, 02:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Nice Guy

Found on google, I assume this is recent.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

express50express

A few questions, some of you may have already documented the the answers for.

1. Does anyone know what effect the Microverb is set on?

2. How often (or when) does Trey use the Microverb?

3. Is the Microverb Trey's primary Reverb?

4. Does Trey use any Reverb from his Mark III? If so, what setting?

Thanks!

Heady Jam Fan

1. The microverb is set to reverse reverb. The exact settings are posted around the site somewhere, but it sounds way different on a Mesa vs a Fender, so when I had one, I always changed the settings depending on which amp I was using.

2. To the best of my knowledge, Trey uses the Micro on leads only. It sounds like a funky tape/analog delay - dark, washed out. Its just a single reverse repeat of the note just played.

3. Trey does not use the Micro like a reverb - as I mentioned above, it sounds more like a funky tape/analog delay.

4. Over the summer there was a video of Trey on stage talking about his rig. During the video, the camera sweeps over his Mesa and I nabbed a couple (somewhat blurry) still shots. The amp's settings were all marked with blue gaffers tape including the reverb (last knob before the GEQ sliders since Trey uses a 'long' head):

Looks like it says "3" to me. That setting would sound very very mild when standing in the room with a MKIII, but louder when the amp is close-miced. I have mine set on "8" right now. His setting would just kind of soften the edge of his sound and natural reverb from the venue would fill in the rest.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

jenkins

He uses the micro verb for that reason cool reverse reverb he uses as described above. but what about the other 2 alesis units in that rack? I believe they're nanoverbs? what tone does he use those for?

I really don't believe he uses any of those units for his primary reverb as they're in the "dig crap" loop on his Bradshaw box so I would think these units stay out of his signal paths unless being used for a specific use:, like to reverse reverb effect.

but what other effects is he getting from the other two????

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: jenkins on February 05, 2014, 05:29:35 AM
He uses the micro verb for that reason cool reverse reverb he uses as described above. but what about the other 2 alesis units in that rack? I believe they're nanoverbs? what tone does he use those for?

I really don't believe he uses any of those units for his primary reverb as they're in the "dig crap" loop on his Bradshaw box so I would think these units stay out of his signal paths unless being used for a specific use:, like to reverse reverb effect.

but what other effects is he getting from the other two????

The nano's are, to the best of my knowledge, nothing more than space fillers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

express50express

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I'm not mistaken his Mark III is setup as follows. The blue tape says it all.

Volume 8.5
Treble 5.1 (pulled)
Bass 1.8
Middle 5.5
Master ?
Lead Drive 3
Lead Master 6.5 (pulled)
Reverb 7 (def not 3)

express50express

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: express50express on February 05, 2014, 01:20:08 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but if I'm not mistaken his Mark III is setup as follows. The blue tape says it all.

Volume 8.5
Treble 5.1 (pulled)
Bass 1.8
Middle 5.5
Master ?
Lead Drive 3
Lead Master 6.5 (pulled)
Reverb 7 (def not 3)

Good eye - it probably does say "7" for reverb.

I think I see a "P" between the volume setting (8.5) and the treble setting (5.1), as well as after the treble setting. I pretty sure the bass knob is not pulled, does this mean the volume knob is pulled? That is essentially a bright switch. I have mine pulled right now, but I change it depending on the setting I'm playing in and settings on the amp. Or maybe has has a "P" on each side setting number for a knob thats pulled? Ie., "P5.1P" indicating the treble knob is pulled and "P6P" indicating the lead master is pulled.

I think the Master Volume setting says "1.95" basically meaning just barely below 2.

It does look like the EQ switch is set to "off." However, there are arrows drawn on the gaffers tape above it that I think coordinate with the EQ and Half/Full Power switch (obviously they don't indicate settings for the power and standby switch). If so, it indicates the amp is set to half power (2 6L6), but then the arrow that would indicate the EQ switch setting points up. The problem is that its a 3-way switch (up is auto, or automatically on when the lead channel is turned on, middle is off, down is always on). If it is set to auto, combined with the treble knob and lead master knobs being pulled (upper mid-boost and treble boost, respectively, for the lead channel), that lead would be very light on bass and have quite of a bit of upper midrange.

Lastly, you can also see a small piece of gaffers tape near the back of the amp marking the Presence setting.

express50express

Great conversation on the Mark III Settings, we need to move this to a previous thread.

This is what I think is going on. I get he plays single coils a bit, but with humbuckers, this amp really wants you to pull volume and treble, low bass, and cranked mids.

Volume 8.5 (pulled)
Treble 5.1 (pulled)
Bass 1.8
Middle 5.5
Master 1.95 (as you said earlier, just under 2)
Lead Drive 3
Lead Master 6.5 (pulled)
Reverb 7
Presence 2.5 - total guess ;)

Half Power 2 x el34's.
I really think the EQ is in the off position. I've owned blue stripe, and that is the switch orientation I was familiar with. I currently own a Purple Stripe. Sold the Blue and regretted it, and had to have another!

Some think that Trey has the EQ set for Auto with an upside down V for a mid range boost when the Lead channel is engaged (i don't buy it). With his amp settings, adding that EQ setting to his leads would kill someone. He has so much mid range already from the amp, guitar, and a pair of tube-screamers, don't forget v30 speakers!!!!! , all of which are mid range monsters.

I've setup my boogie with these setting and it rocks. Also, it makes sense how his lead drive is set on 3. It gives him 2 x different baseline tones to flavor with TS9's. Or engage the lead channel for supper gain and chaos. Try these settings and turn the lead drive to 6.5 - 7 (that setting is what made this amp famous in the 80's).

Dying to know what his presence knob is set at. The presence knob is the most debated setting for early Mark's. Either love or hate it.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: express50express on February 05, 2014, 03:52:17 PM
Great conversation on the Mark III Settings, we need to move this to a previous thread.

This is what I think is going on. I get he plays single coils a bit, but with humbuckers, this amp really wants you to pull volume and treble, low bass, and cranked mids.

Volume 8.5 (pulled)
Treble 5.1 (pulled)
Bass 1.8
Middle 5.5
Master 1.95 (as you said earlier, just under 2)
Lead Drive 3
Lead Master 6.5 (pulled)
Reverb 7
Presence 2.5 - total guess ;)

Half Power 2 x el34's.
I really think the EQ is in the off position. I've owned blue stripe, and that is the switch orientation I was familiar with. I currently own a Purple Stripe. Sold the Blue and regretted it, and had to have another!

Some think that Trey has the EQ set for Auto with an upside down V for a mid range boost when the Lead channel is engaged (i don't buy it). With his amp settings, adding that EQ setting to his leads would kill someone. He has so much mid range already from the amp, guitar, and a pair of tube-screamers, don't forget v30 speakers!!!!! , all of which are mid range monsters.

I've setup my boogie with these setting and it rocks. Also, it makes sense how his lead drive is set on 3. It gives him 2 x different baseline tones to flavor with TS9's. Or engage the lead channel for supper gain and chaos. Try these settings and turn the lead drive to 6.5 - 7 (that setting is what made this amp famous in the 80's).

Dying to know what his presence knob is set at. The presence knob is the most debated setting for early Mark's. Either love or hate it.

I think presence at 2.5 is probably correctly. Above 3 adds noise and really an unnecessary amount of presence - will kill your ears!

I agree about the EQ given the other lead settings: pretty clean with the upper mid and treble boost. I find when its that clean, the pull knobs have a really strong effect and the GEQ would probably be overkill. However, he definitely sometimes changes other settings on the lead channel and I could imagine using the GEQ if he didn't have the knobs pulled, and/or if the lead channel was more dirty. But even without the pull knobs turned on or the EQ engaged, the lead channel has less bass than the normal channel (already more mid focused).

Trey's Mesa isn't Simul-Class, so his half power setting is 2 rather than 4 6L6's. He has 4 6L6 tubes in his Mesa.

I've been messing around with the R2 crunch (and overdrive lead channel) of my Mesa. A TS9>R2 sounds pretty sweet. I like cranking the bass up a bit more, gets a great 80's hard-rock tone.

express50express

Yes, my purple has el34's for half the power :)

What is yours setup with?

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: express50express on February 05, 2014, 04:22:52 PM
Yes, my purple has el34's for half the power :)

What is yours setup with?

My amp has Simul-Class, so it has:

2x EL34 setting called (incorrectly) "Class A," which, IIRC, used to be described as 15w, but its more like a really loud 25-30w.
2x EL34 & 2x 6L6 called Simul-Class, which, IIRC used to be described as 75w, but I think its a good 80w.

Heady Jam Fan

My usual settings are close to the ones in the picture. I just tried the ones from the picture and still prefer my volume at 7 rather than 8.5.

Also, that lead setting is more distorted than I thought, especially with the volume at 8.5 rather than 7 (where I usually have it). Its hard to get his clean lead tone that way... I thought it sounded good with or without the GEQ set to auto (on for leads), but I'm also using an EVM12L.

Walker done done

Guys I don't think the Volume is pulled. If you copy the pic and blow it up you'll see the Treble and Lead Master both have a "p" on either side of their respective numbers, indicating those are to be pulled, but I don't think that first "p" is referring to the Volume.

I do think the Presence is 2.5, and also agree the reverb is set to 7.

I also have the Simul-Class version (EL34's and 6V6's) and I love this amp. Grab one if you ever have the opportunity. I've matched mine with a beautiful AO custom 2x12 and it's pure bliss.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

express50express

i have a THD 2x12 cab loaded with a black shadow mc-90 and vintage 30. To my ears the Evm12l sounds much better. the highs and lows are much better balanced, and the boogie is easier to dial in with that speaker. plus, different boogie settings sound good. the celestion cab is the complete opposite. i have given up on it. it could be a bad speaker combination. i am thinking about pairing the evm12l with one of them, just not sure which one yet. i guess i could try both and let the ears judge :)